Is it time for a DAC upgrade?

Yes. It is Digi+ Pro. I guess I can’t keep up with all that naming. I have no experience with Digi2 Pro and definitely do not have a time machine.
I definitely agree on the Ian Canada’s products.

Pi2Design had a very successful PI2AES Rev.3 hat.
But it has been discontinued.
It is Rev.3 that many audiophiles are still looking for.

I doubt you’d hear much difference with a DAC upgrade. If you check Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum you’ll find reviews of many DACs in your price range. You can get a DAC for under $150 that measures as well as some that cost 2 to 10 times as much, with the difference being inaudible by any reasonable psychoacoustic standard. The ancient rule of hi fi still applies. The weak link in the audio chain is the speakers.

1 Like

I only use DAC, mostly from Allo.com.
The Transport DigiOne from Allo.com seems to me to be a very successful device. I’m thinking of buying one too …
The Allo products seem to me to be very cleanly designed.

I still have an existing DAC V90 from Musical Fidelity lying around … But I haven’t used it for a while.

https://www.allo.com/sparky/digione.html

1 Like

I have a Khadas Tone Board and a Khadas Tone 2 Pro. Both are external DACs, that is, they connect to the RPi via usb. I find both very good. Reviewers seem to like them, and they’re reasonably priced. The Tone 2 Pro can be hooked up to an amplifier via standard RCA connection or via XLR (if you’re fortunate enough to have an amplifier with XLR inputs). The Tone 2 Pro also has its own headphone amplifier. I’ve found Khadas to be very good with firmware upgrades too.

1 Like

Get yourself a digital out board and try to hook up r2r ladder/multibit dac… Dac is a very important part of the system…once u go to multibits way there no turning back…audiosciencereview just crap…u cannot measure the musicality

1 Like

Almost every CD player made in the 1980’s used an r2r multibit DAC; it’s not a new concept. You could say I started with multibit DACs and turned back.

HiFi berry digi+Pro hat into a schitt modi 3 DAC using coaxial spdif.
https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwj8eJBhA5EiwAg3z0m6CS84njQmrbGCPbzur65mucFYpxIZ_b1WR88-MBZp27ZwZNr8IlcRoCAx8QAvD_BwE

I’m using an external USB DAC, HRT (High Resolution Technology) Music Streamer II High Resolution USB D/A Converter, that I bought 9 years ago (HRT has since replaced it by Music Streamer III - see hirestech.com). It’s a small thing with no controls that connects to my Raspberry PI’s USB port (or my computer’s USB port) and outputs to RCA inputs on my receiver. I’ve seen great reviews for the $99 Schitt Modi 3+. Check out the Audiophiliac on YouTube; he reviewed several DACs including the Schitt. For me, my DAC made a big difference, but I’m not sure a DAC is where you need to upgrade. Looks like you have very good speakers already and I’ve always thought speakers are what really makes the big difference in a sound system’s sound. (PS. I have Ohm Walsh 2’s that I bought in the 1970s. Still going strong! The Amazon Prime series “Bosch” features the Ohm Walsh 4’s and other high-end audio equipment in Harry Bosch’s home.)

Hi @Lecter !
Do you hear deference when you use the IAN CANADA TRANSPORTPI Digital Interface + IAN CANADA FIFOPI Q3 and when you don’t? Does it worth it?
Thanks!

You may hear a difference but I doubt it. More to the point nearly all DACs built in the last three years use asynchronous USB; there is no need for RPI HATs with interfaces such as AES/EBU and S/PIDF or re-clocking.

With Volumio 3.x, Allo BOSS2 is fully supported. (now unfortunately still without display module)
The sound quality of the BOSS2 is significantly better than the very good BOSS1.2.
As a DAC hat, I can currently recommend the BOSS2 the most!

1 Like