IR Install Problem

Ok. I’m gonna make some researches about ir-keytable and see if I can use a NEC config file. If not, I think i’ll buy a new remote. I’ll update this thread when the problem will be solved(new remote or not…).
For now my streamer is operational, i’ll post some pics of my “futuristic cookie box” case in a little while.

Thanks again for your help gvolt. Without your help I think I would have given up the idea of using a remote control a long time ago.

Good luck!
Looking forward to the pics.

I’m having a similar problem. I have an IR remote I bought with my hifiberry amp2. It has a USB receiver and is a “no name” remote. I’ve left a query with hifiberry to get the make and model, but no response yet. I’d like to use irrecord to create config files for this remote but here’s the problem.

I’ve installed the latest version of Volumio (2.861) and the latest version of IR Remote Controller (1.3.3).

In earlier posts in this thread, you state that the plugin should be deactivated. The problem is that when the plugin is deactivated, /dev/lirc0 is removed. That is, /dev/lirc0 is only present when the plugin is active. So I can’t run irrecord with the plugin deactivated because I have no /dev/lirc0 and get the following message:

$ irrecord -n -d /dev/lirc0 ~/lircd.conf
irrecord -  application for recording IR-codes for usage with lirc
Copyright (C) 1998,1999 Christoph Bartelmus(lirc@bartelmus.de)
irrecord: could not get file information for /dev/lirc0
irrecord: default_init(): No such file or directory
irrecord: could not init hardware (lircd running ? --> close it, check permissions)
$

output from;

$ ls -al /dev/lirc*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jan 19 02:29 /dev/lircd -> ../var/run/lirc/lircd
$

but;

$ killall lirc
lirc: no process found
$

BTW - the volume up and down buttons on the remote work, but nothing else. I’d like to get at least some of them working, i.e., skip forward, skip back, pause/play.

Any wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you should have this remote control it does not use infrared but radio transmission.

Apart from that Kernels since 4.19 don’t support the lirc-rpi overlay which has previously been used but switched to using the gpio-ir overlay. This broke irrecord. You may follow the links I posted above for some more information.

Some time ago irrecord has been patched for Debian Buster and works again in my experience. But there will be no update / patch for irrecord for Debian Jessie. Volumio currently is based on Jessie but a Buster based version is on its way.

So as stated in my linked post above, for a short-term solution I think you would have to build your lircd.conf on a another system where irrecord either still works, i.e. on system with a kernel older than 4.19, or on a system where irrecord works again which could be a Buster based Raspberry Pi OS aka Raspbian or any other Linux disribution where Lirc is available.

If 2 buttons already works it means that there is a config file with the list of commands, right?
So what if you just try to add lines with new commands?..

I got a response from hifiberry. The remote is a keyboard emulation device and NOT IR. This means that LIRC doesn’t even come into play. HOWEVER, if you bought the hifiberry remote, there is a solution using triggerhappy. Details can be found here:

https://community.volumio.com/t/keyboard-shortcuts-with-triggerhappy/4826/13

Sorry for the confusion.