Intel NUC NUC7CJYH S/PDIF problem

Volumio Information

Volumio Version:2.852
Hardware: Intel NUC NUC7CJYH
DAC:KEF LSX

Hello. Recently I have bought the Intel NUC7CJYH in order to set a small music server for my KEF LSX speakers.
I managed to install Volumio on the SSD without any problems. The nwetork works well, the sound via rear analog out also works great.
However I wan to pass the digital signal through rear optical jack using mini-TOslink to Toslink cable.
I am unable i turn on the S/PDIF output. The digital out is visible in alsamixer and other termian commands, but I ahve only “HDA Intel” output as the only option to select.

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC233 Analog [ALC233 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC233 Digital [ALC233 Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Previously I have installed Ubuntu LTS 16.04 OEM from Intel site and I was able to turn on the optical out via the pulseaudio. As I read there is no pulseaudio support right now.

Can you help me fix this issue?
Best regards
Kuba

Anyone?

BR
Kuba

The “HDA Intel” device in the NUC NUC7CJYH has not been configured to work with volumio.
Are you able to work in a terminal and edit a file to test something?

I had a similar problem with a nuc5cpyh. Although Volumio had spdif as a possible output there was no sound.

The fix for me was very easy. Get to a terminal on your NUC, type alsamixer and then unmute spdif. Leave alsamixer with esc.

In my NUC this is the output of aplay -l

volumio@********:/tmp$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC283 Digital [ALC283 Digital]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

1 Like

i’ll fix this in the next version.
Would you mind telling me what wifi chip your NUC is using?
GĂ©

Sorry for no response, did not have time to play with NUC, so I haad W10 with KODI installed and everything wokred. However Kodi lacked of functions for music listening, so I’m back to the Volumio. I’ll check the @Greybeard solution and notify you of effects.

@greybear’s solution should work for the x86 version which is downloadable from the “Getting started” page.

In the newer Volumio x86 for buster version this has been resolved for a number of HDA Intel cards.
Download link: volumiobuster-2.857-2020-12-11-x86
The version is fully functional, but lacks a few cosmetic things (lacks splash screen, boot log is still visible).
We have decided to put priority on getting this released in the near future.

In alsamixer I have S/PDIF, S/PDIF Default PCR and S/PDIF 16 positions. The third one is off.

in alsamixer, does the third one show “MM” above it ?
If yes, hit the “m” key to unmute it.

Or otherwise try unmuting from the command line:

amixer -c 0 set IEC958,16 unmute

Oh gosh, I was so lame, tried only arrow keys in alsamixer, unmuting worked. Thanks!

@gkkpch in this buster version no plugins are available. Is it normal or do I have some issue?

Yep, I’m working on that one. Please follow the thread in “Development/ Development talks”

i got them back lol :slight_smile: if you install the 1.2.2 touch display it came back to me gniffle :rofl:
@bachankas @gkkpch yess because not all the plugins are compatible yet…