Installation on ASRock Beebox N3000

Hello, I would like to start using Volumio PC with my ASRock Beebox N3000 but I have some questions before I start.

I am wondering where I should install Volumio and what method I should use depending on which way I choose.
The Beebox N3000 is a small pc that has an onboard mSATA slot and one SATA connector for a 2.5 HDD. So you can have both drives working at the same time. One for boot and one for media. Here are a few possible configurations I was thinking of trying for Volumio.

1. Flash the .img using Etcher to a 2.5 SSD and install it internally to the Beebox. Music is located on external HDD.
  2. Flash the .img using Etcher to a mSATA drive and install it internally to the Beebox. Music is located on external HDD.
  3. Flash the .img using Etcher to a mSATA drive and install it internally to the Beebox. Music is located on internal HDD.
  4. Flash the .img using Etcher to a USB drive and boot the Beebox from USB. Music is located on internal HDD.
  5. Flash the .img using Etcher to a USB drive and boot the Beebox from USB. Music is located on external HDD.

Are all these combinations do-able? Are any of them recommended over the others? I am looking for the easiest method preferably without having to do any configurations by command line.

I also have seen a few posts about booting from a Volumio USB and then using commands to install it to the internal SSD. Is this necessary? Is it not possible to just flash it to a SSD and then put the SSD back in the PC and set it as the boot drive in the BIOS?

Thank you for any advice!

Well, I went with option 2 and everything seems to be working fine. Now I am working on tagging my 600 albums correctly.

I have one more question if anyone is reading this.

The Beebox has an IR remote. Is there a way to get it to work with Volumio? It would be nice to pause and maybe skip tracks with the remote.

There is an IR remote plugin if you have a look in the Plugins section. No idea how configurable this will be for your particular remote though.

Thank you for the suggestion but I am not seeing that plugin in the list. Are plugins behind the paywall?

If you are on the Buster release then the plugins are current disabled on the beta…

I don’t think I am using a Buster release. I only downloaded the .img file from the main page. It says version 2.909.

In my Plugins section there are only Music Services, System Tools and Miscellanea.

I think the IR remote plugin assumes compatibility only with arm based boards.
You would have to install it manually, and tweak things to get it working with your device…

1 Like

Thx for the info. I will look into installing it manually. Tweaking it might be beyond my abilities but I will give it a shot!