Install peppy meter in volumio

I am trying the new plugin on a fresh Buster image 3.015. I am testing on a RPi4 using the headphone output.

I followed the procedure for getting modular_alsa branch, but if I enable it I don’t get any sound from the headphones.

Disabling it with MODULAR_ALSA_PIPELINE=false makes the sound coming back again.

what can I check for fixing the issue?

Is peppymeter activated when you have no sound, or just alsa_pipeline?
Check if mod stuck at 100% CPU.
I didn’t tested with headphones…

just alsa pipeline

HI ,
I am trying to install the plugin but in the end it gives me an error .
Pls find the steps that I have performed
3.15.Peppymeter_install_log.txt (4.2 KB)
Thanks

You need to use volumio pull -b 'buster/alsa-pipeline' i.e quote the branch argument.

I use this
3.15.Peppymeter_install_log_1.txt (1.0 KB)
Thanks

I have reflashed and I have the same error : 3.15.Peppymeter_install_log_2.txt (4.0 KB)
What am I doing wrong ? :frowning:
Thanks

Looks like the script /usr/local/bin/volumio is looking for node in /usr/local/bin/ … and doesn’t find it.

It also happened to me. I have solved it by copying the @npm and @node links from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin

Everything works fine, but why on a 320x480 display and selecting medium size do I get an image like the one in the photo?

Backing Up current Volumio folder in /volumio-current
Cloning Volumio Backend repo
Cloning master from repository https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2.git
Cloning into '/volumio'...

It is still cloning the master branch that doesn’t have all the fixes for this image…
Try this on a fresh 3.015 image.

cd /volumio
git fetch --unshallow 
git branch -vv
git pull
git reset --hard d7a5678
# Check last 5 commits to see if we have all the right fixes
git log --no-pager -5
# Now continue as before 
volumio pull -b "buster/alsa-pipeline"

Hi,
The above steps was performed on 3.15 but I will try again.
Regarding the quatarioj marks it sgould be 2 or 1 quatation mark. ’ or " when doing the links or pul…
Thanks

Unfortunately, I think I built the image with an older base rootfs so the new fixes from the repo could be missing. The additional steps now show first fetch the proper fixes, and then allow you to pull…
Sorry for the trouble!

In this case shouldn’t matter :slight_smile:

I have created the steps running PeppyMeter on the Volumio2, which should also work for Volumio3.

Instead of creating the plugin, I just install it as a cron job. This 1-minute cron job automatically starts PeppyMeter when it detects /tmp/myfifo gets created. I have added singleton detection in my PeppyMeter fork so there will be only 1 instance of PeppyMeter running.

Hi,
would you be so kind to let my know the hardware list of your wonderful implementation. In other words I would know the type and how you have connected 2 displays for the meters and one for the information: what kind and where you bought them.
Thanks in advance and best regards,
Francesco

My Volumio (volumio-2.861-2020-12-22-pi) + PeppyMeter build:

2 Likes

@balbuze with your plugin, is it possible to disable the on-screen meters and instead just allow the i2c output? In my build I’ve got 2x 16 segment LED bars, connected via 2x MCP23017, similar to the PoC i2c meter setup I2C VU Meter · project-owner/PeppyMeter.doc Wiki · GitHub

I’m going to need to modify i2cinterface.py to suit my display size and the config to assign the i2c addresses etc. But using your plugin to simplify/standardize install seems like a good idea.

2 Likes

Yes. The plugin is not finished yet. But in my plan, I’m going to add all features provided by peppymeter. I’ll have a look soon for i2c. ,:wink:

Awesome! Thanks!

Pics of my hardware progress :slight_smile: I’ll put up a build thread eventually.

2 Likes

Hi,
I plan to build also a i2c vumeter.
@balbuze. Peppymeter will work with spotify plugin, i have understood tu hat spotify does not use mpd daemon for playing.
Thanks