I some help (and answers)

Hello. I’m new to Volumio and I have a couple of questions about it. I have average Linux knowledge, mainly in Debian based OSes. This post involves some small suggestions but because I can’t choose a multiple categories at once, just ignore it. Also it has some micro bug reports.

Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes. English isn’t my first language.

Here are a few things that are (probably) good to know:

• I’m running Volumio on a Raspberry Pi 4B (2GB Memory)
  • I have a GPIO attached LCD touchscreen attached to it
  • I’m downloading Volumio OS from the Raspberry Pi Imager. (rpi-imager 1.7.4 - Volumio Release 2023-2-7)
  • I have a Waveshare 3.5" LCD (B) revision 2

Here are my simple (probably dumb) questions:

• Where am I supposed to drop music and import it into Volumio?
  • How do I change the keyboard layout and keep it after a reboot? Or better, how can I get the keymap to apply at all? (I actually spent 2 hours trying to set it with literally EVERY method of changing the keymap)

Here are my more advanced questions:

(Expand Me, Long) - How to display the WebUI on my LCD?

Here’s what I tried:

• apt install chromium-browser xorg - :x: Fails (unmet dependencies, broken packages)
  • apt install firefox-esr xorg - :question: (Doesn’t really work) Succeeds (Installs and runs fine, can’t access volumio.local or localhost) (Not really an issue with Volumio: when using the Waveshare LCD driver, xorg doesn’t detect the framebuffer, Fails)

Info I gathered:

• Firefox was (so far) the closest to working. I guess some sign of firewall was blocking localhost connections? But what kind of firewall would do that…
  • Chromium doesn’t even try to install. (Tried literally every method that I know of to fix broken packages)

Possible solution(s):

• Add a feature that will show the WebUI on boot on all monitors attached. (Could be a setting in volumio-config {More on volumio-config later})
(Not really about Volumio, Expand Me, Short) - Getting the WebUI displayed on the LCD

As I mentioned earlier, I have a Waveshare 3.5" LCD (B) revision 2. It attaches to the Pi via GPIO pins. It uses the SPI protocol to send frames over to it. Here is a link to a GitHub repo that has all of the Waveshare drivers (I have the LCD35B-show-V2 driver)

It would be nice if you would help me guys! :smiley:

About volumio-config, I will (probably) write a suggestion for it with all of the neat features it could have. Of course, the devs can totally reject my idea. I understand that maintaining an OS is hard and that’s why I want to thank the developers of Volumio for all of their hard work. :heart:

Copy it to /data/internal

Install the touch display plugin

No need to change this when your accessing volumio via the browser, unless you mean something else?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

There are some keys that I want to be able to press in the terminal. I’m not familiar with the English keyboard so that’s a bummer for me.

If I understood correctly, the plugin will switch from the terminal to the Web UI?

Thanks!

yes it does. you can then also install onscreen keyboard.

2 Likes

Last thing, what do you think about the volumio-config idea?
Should I post a new thread about it? Is there an alternative that I missed? Now that I read it back, I think it’s a pretty dumb idea :smiley:

Thanks for all the help

No clue what you mean, as you didn’t gave any detail.

Yea… I’ll probably write a full post on what I mean. Thanks.