How to make sure my PI4 has the firmware that fixes hot cpu?

So you wouldn’t bother changing the governor to onDemand, if I I don’t use any usb?

just test… no risk

1 Like

@volumio so considering I run pi4 with digione and SPDIF, this won’t affect sound quality in any way?

No it won’t.
But I wouldn’t bother even changing it :wink:

1 Like

I already did, haha. The temperature is actually falling as we speak!

Will future updates of Volumio update the firmware version, considering it is from april?

Yes, as soon as the new 5.X kernel is stable enough for our use

1 Like

Awesome!

onDemand makes the unit run at 58-59 celcius when not in use. Since the FW is from April 2020 I don’t suppose the new 5x kernel will make much difference to the temp anyway. Will updates in Volumio change the governor back to performance?

I shall stop thinking about it as per your instructions :wink:

No, now that you edited a file manually, it will persist among updates

And yes, just focus on the music and stop thinking about temps :wink:

Will do! 10 degree celcius lower is still a pretty nice improvement though.

I have 6 Pi’s running synchronised Hi-res. None of them go above 52 playing non-stop, but all running PcP. (PcP does ‘on demand’ by default)

If you really want to dig in deep, there seem to be some good suggestions here about underclocking and other tweaks. But to me 59 still seems to be well below the danger zone anyway.

After I shut down the unit and powered it on again, the governor was changed back to performance?

Tested again, then restarted, and it changes back to performance?

The only way I managed to override Volumio is to use the following in /etc/rc.local

sleep 5
echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
exit 0

Sleep has to be there or Volumio just overrides it.

Perhaps @volumio should add an option for the user to change the governor in the UI, instead of it always running performance.

2 Likes

Change in this file:

/etc/default/cpufrequtils