How do you Rip CDs to FLAC files to play using Volumio?

and not by interpolation but by compression and you can set it as high as you can with it mp3 can go to 320 bit rate and flac works with compression max 8 that is what know of it and sounds good

I think there is a confusion between sample rate and bitrateā€¦
sample rate in Hz
bitrate in bit/s
A CD quality is 16b 44.1Khz with a bitrate(1,411 kbit/s cd. A lossless (FLAC) is identical.
A good mp3 192kbit/s, with data destructionā€¦

@dvo and @balbuze , Thank you for that clarification. I was indeed confused!

While I have your attention, could you explain why most DACs are specā€™ed as:
Sampling Frequency: 384KHz
Resolution (Bits): 16-32

I understand the need for the sampling rate to be at least 10 x the highest analogue frequency being encoded but if the CD Redbook spec is 16bit, what would be the need for 24 or 32 bit resolution ā€¦ and is there an application that can utilise these resolutions?

Spec for a Dac are the maximum values it can use. Letā€™s compare with a car, it is not because the max speed is 300km/h that you need to drive that speed to enjoy your travelā€¦
There is no need to over sample a cd (my point of view) because you wonā€™t add information that are not hereā€¦
You can get high Res files though, Qobuz, tidal or other, but not sure you can hear the difference, because of your Dac, amp, speakers, room, and your ears! For me most of High Res is marketing, even if thecnically it is better. A lot of users buy high Res music to listen on a low end system or even via Bluetooth and claim it is fantastic :laughing:

Sorry, for my late reply. Donā€™t understand your problem, its all here:
https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/SSH.html

OK, I think I understand how to do this with SSH and I will probably do this as another project.

For now, I a doing my ripping to FLAC with Fre:ac on my Windows PC as it is easier to do this at a desk and a Computer equipped with a CD Drive and lots of USB Ports ā€¦ rather than on the RPi which is currently installed as a ā€œPlayerā€ at my Quad Amplifier on my Music rack.

Thank you for your explanation. - Robin