HiFIBerry Digi+ Pro and Allo DigiOne Volumio special Version

This image works fine with digital interfaces ToS and Spdif, I only cannot get Spotify and Qobuz working.

Thanks for the great work! My Digi+ Pro is finally working.

One issue I am running into is the pause/mute between tracks. Is there anyway to remove this behavior? The pause/mute between track changes is causing my Yggdrasil DAC’s relay to fire on every track change, which is really annoying because I am using Spotify via volspotconnect2, which would presumably never change the sample rate.

Hi and thank you for this build, work very well with my digi+ pro !

I just have a problem, i don’t know if is link with this version. I can’t mount my windows drive network, see my screens :

An idea please ? (Sorry for my english…)

Have you tried to click advanced and select under file share type nfs.

Hi,
same here,
the digi+ pro on raspi pi 3 works fine with coax with my marantz pm7005.
The one and only problem is that the general volume is very loud.
And there is no difference between

• hifiberry digi+
  • hifiberry digi+ pro
  • direct usb to the marantz pm7005, use the built in usb-dac (i don’t use this because of bad usb-output results of the raspi with flac above 176Khz / 24 Bit).
    because there is no option to control the volume in volumio.
    I fully understand that a volume control makes no sense with the above processing methods.
    But on a (“virtual”) scale from 0 to 100, the volume controller is at max. 8 and than the volume is massive too loud.
    Behind the amp is a
    1 x b+w asw 610 subwoofer and
    2 x wharfedale diamond 220 @8ohm, so that setup (impedancy) is recommended.

Thank you for your outstanding work with volumio,

regards,
J.G.

You can enable software mixer to be able to control Volume, but this degrades sound quality

Thanks for your reply and here is the masterquestion:
What means “degrade sound quality”?

As for an example:
Without any volume control e.g. disabled (which means the best quality) a flac with 192 KHz / 24 Bit is a flac with 192 KHz / 24 Bit and with software mixer, the same flac is downgraded to a 48 KBit MP3?

I hope your’re understand what i mean?

Is it a hearable difference or is it a psychologic effect or from a technical aspect, what is the implementation of the software mixer? Is it a on-the-fly digital --> analog --> decrease volume --> digital process?

Regards,
J.G.

is there a possibility to turn off the optical out of the Digi?

DAC+ Pro uses a pair of GPIO built into the PCM5122 (over I2C) to control the clocks. The DIGI+ Pro uses a pair of Raspberry Pi GPIO to do the same.

Michael

I’ve also tested the i2s direct output on the digi + pro to the input of an audio gd nfb 2015 dac and that works fine too.

Hi,

Anyone else have issues with webradio with this build? Can’t get it to play with coax output. If i choose usb it works.

I have no issues with volspotconnect2, airplay or flac (from Ethernet wired nas).

Nothing happens when I try to play a webradio stream. And after I have tried playing a stream I cant play flac files as well. (airplay and volspotconnect2 still work). A reboot fixes the flac files, but not the webradio stream.

Setup:
NuPrime DAC-9
Allo DigiONE
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B V2

I will update later with logs if needed.

Regards

Has anyone compared the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro and Allo DigiOne in terms of sound quality? I am deciding to buy one of them but not both.

I have compared both and find Digione slightly (on my rig and to my ears) better than digi+ pro

After I posted my question here, I found comments in another forum saying that DigiOne is better too. Here is his comment:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/allo-digione-board/18564/158

Consider the price, DigiOne is twice the price of Digi+ Pro, it should be better worth the price.

One thing that really annoys me is the high shipping price. Allo charged $23 to Hong Kong whereas HiFiBerry only charged $10, which is more reasonable price in Asia in my eyes.

Does the DIgiOne has i2s output like Digi+ Pro?

As far as I know, the DigiOne does not have an I2S through location to solder a header or direct wires on like the HFB Digi+ Pro has. Not sure why you want this as if you need a good I2S signal to feed into an external DAC then Allo offers the Kali for that purpose (and not the DigiOne).

HFB does not offer a re-clocker on its own and you could use the Digi+ Pro for that purpose.

On shipping; maybe HFB has a better/wider distribution network allowing for lower shipping costs?

Just my2cents :slight_smile:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I just think that i2s output connected directly to my external DAC could sound better than BNC. Not sure about it.

Digi+ Pri have 2 clocks, I think its purpose is the same as DigiOne, to bypass the RPi clock. Is it correct?

Allo is very responsive and nice, they have already offered me alternative and well priced. :slight_smile: Very good service indeed.

I am using Audio-gd DAC as you, do you think there is any improvement via i2s than coaxial?

It could depending on the implementation. I have read several succesful implementation using Audio-gd DAC’s. Important is the quality of the I2S clock signal as the DAC’s are slaves.

Exactly right. Both devices provide an alternative clock to the bad Pi one.

The Allo Kali sole purpose is to generate a clean and well-timed I2S signal. (Big) Advantage over the other two devices (if you are only interested in a quality I2S signal) is that the Kali also takes care of powerline polution. Something the HFB Digi+ Pro does not and you have take care of that part yourselves (by for example use a good lineair power supply and feed the HFB a direct 3.3v instead of using the Pi pin). Several DIY or commercial solution are available both relatively costly. Especially compared to the price of the Kali.

Now we are curious what you have been offered or at least which route you have taken and why [emoji16]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You really know the difference. Let me take a look of Kali again. Soldering is not a problem but how to position whatever board and Rpi in my DAC via i2s neatly is. There is simply not enough space inside the chasis. I dare say BNC is easier.

I don’t think it is a special offer, they will just use registered mail instead of EMS. I am a price sensitive guy and time is not my issue.

I’m using i2s directly to audio gd now for about a week and the sound goes something forward on something more detailed.
I think that if you put an kali reclocker on it, I think it sounds even better.
But all in all I do not go back to the hifiberry digi + pro the sound directly over i2s sounds better.

Just a tip! keeps the data lines i2s as short as possible.
All in all I get about 35 cm cable from the HiFiberry Digi + Pro i2s jack to the audio GD DAC I2S input.

MCLK signal is also missing on the digi + pro.