HiFiBerry Digi+ not working under Volumio 1.55

Hey guys,

I’m new to the forum and new to Raspberry Pi/Volumio so thank you in advance for any help you can provide. It’s incredible how easy this has been to set up so far, I just have this one last step to go.

I’m running Volumio 1.55 on a Raspberry Pi B+. I’m getting sound over HDMI with no issue. However my receiver is out of HDMI inputs which is why I bought the HiFiBerry Digi+ so I can run my Raspberry Pi into my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC which helps give me some extra inputs. I’ve tried selecting the HiFiBerry Digi (noting that it’s not the Digi+) from the settings menu and connecting the HiFiBerry to the DAC via coax and optical cables and I’m not getting anything out of it. I’ve searched around both this forum and HiFiBerry forums and haven’t found anyone else with a similar issue yet. It’s probably something simple but your help is appreciated.

Yes, I rebooted after switching the I2S driver.
Yes, I made sure my receiver and DAC were on the correct inputs.
Yes, I used cables I know are good.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I just downloaded from HiFiBerry, “Raspbian with Test Tone Generator” (hifiberry.com/guides/sd-card-images/) and checked that the DIGI+ is indeed working over optical and coax; it is. So I’ve confirmed that the problem I’m having lies somewhere inside Volumio. Is it really something as simple as Volumio including the driver for the DIGI but not the DIGI+?

I’m open to suggestions!

I wish I could tell you what happened but I’m not totally sure. I tried drivers for all the other HiFiBerry I2S devices available in Volumio 1.55 and the Generic driver rebooting the machine in between all of them. When I came back around to the “Hifiberry Digi” driver the DIGI+ started to work over coax and optical.

The only thing different during the last reboot was that I had connected a USB keyboard and USB mouse as I was getting ready to try another Raspbian. But I’ve since unplugged the keyboard, mouse, and HDMI cables and everything is working fine! I’m pretty excited about this!

If anyone has any questions for me I’ll do my best to answer. Maybe the right question could cast some light on to what happened here.

But, for now, it’s working and I’m happy!