Hidden WiFi SSID

Hello fellow music lovers. First post here. I am a noob but do know a little about a lot.

I am connecting my RPI B with Volumio 1.1 to Wifi that the SSID beacon is turned off. Volumio is up and connected via wifi but because I had to customize the “interfaces" configuration file to connect wlan0 to a hidden SSID, when you open Volumio in the browser and select Menu>Networks, there is a note that says;
“File /etc/network/interfaces was modified outside Player UI.
You can edit it manually or reset back to default settings.”

The issue that I am having is that when you select “MANUAL EDIT”, it shows the WPA-PSK password in plain text. I want my visitors to my home to be able to grab my table and add songs to the play list on the pool deck but they could easily stumble onto my network password.

Is there a way around this? Is there a way to secure or disable individual menus?

I don’t want to get into the SSID beacon hidden or not hidden debate. It is what it is and I have to work with a hidden SSID beacon.

Thank you in advance

Just a vague suggestion…

I do not know which user Volumio runs with, but perhaps, playing with chmod you might be able to make the file not readable by that user, while readable by network service…
Gooooood luck, and keep the unit connected to a local video and keyboard while you try…

That was a good work around. I chmod all 0s on the “interfaces" configuration file and now when you select “manual edit” in the browser, nothing shows. You are still able to “Reset Network Config” and it erases the custom settings but that wasn’t my issue.
Thank you.

I will have to add to the “Suggest a Feature” to add an admin interface to enable and/or disable administration type menus.

This is one of the coolest Raspberry Pi projects and I just want to say thank you to the Volumio team!

Cheers,
Richard :wink: