Help with GPIO Buttons and Allo Boss Dac

Hi, I have a Rasp3 and a Boss DAC. I want to use the GPIO Buttons plugin. The Boss has a limited bus, I do not see very clear how to use it, I only have some available pins and for example GPIO22 / MUTE_AMP, I do not know if it is possible to use it. I do not have 3.3 v.
Can you think of how to do it?
Regards

Hi,

There are six GPIO available on the Boss J19 header (4, 17, 22, 23, 24, 27). 22 and 23 appear to be intended to control the Allo Volt, but if your not using a Volt they’re available for use as well. You can also use the I2C pins for I2C (not GPIO!), just don’t collide with the address of the Boss (4d, I think). As for 3.3V, its actually available on pins 3 and 4 of J19 (not documented, but its there).

Good luck!

Chris

Thnks Chris, I try it.

Hello,

I use a RPI3 with Allo Boss DAC and Allo Volt amp. I don’t see any available GPIO pins anymore. The DAC is plugged on the RPI’s pins, and the amp is plugged on the DAC’s pins. Is there a way to use not-used pins anyway? Is there a possibility to connect buttons? How should I do?

Following Allo’s specification, I understand that these pins are used by the Boss: physical pins 3-5-12-27-28-31-35-40 (SDA1-I2C ; SCL1-I2C ; 2S_BCLK ; ID_SD ; ID_SC ; GPIO6/DMUTE ; I2S_LRCLK ; I2S_DOUT).

And then I understand that the Volt uses the outgoing pins from the Boss in addition to physical pins 15-16 (GPIO22 and GPIO23)

The specs are here:

Hi,

I’ve got an RPi3 wit an Allo Boss, and I use a couple of the GPIO on the Boss’s J19 header (see my previous post, this thread) - one for switching my amp, and one for an IR receiver. If I understand your question correctly, you want to get access to one or more GPIO pins, but can’t because the Volt blocks the J19 header. I see two possibilities for you: 1) stack a proto HAT of some sort between the Pi and the Kali. If you use stacking headers on the proto HAT, everything should get passed straight through on to the KAli and the rest of your stack, but you’ll be free to tap unused signals at will. You can even use the I2C bus, as long as you don’t clash with the Boss’s address. This is the most flexible solution, as it will enable very easy access to ALL of the unused pins on the PI, not just the ones passed on tho the J19 on the Boss, but it will make your stack even taller than it already is (whether this is a good thing is a matter of taste, I suppose). It will also provide a convenient way to integrate other stuff you may want to add, such as circuitry for an IR receiver, connectors for hooking up buttons, encoders, etc. 2) break out your soldering iron and start hacking the hardware. This keeps your stack height from growing, but will be more technically challenging.

Good luck!

Chris

Wao, great! Thank you very much for this complete answer: I’ll definitely go for your first idea with a proto HAT + stacking headers.

Size doesn’t matter, does it? :unamused: