HDMI Multichannel audio: any update?

Hello,
testing now the Volumio software on Pi and so far it looks good, but i found it does miss one thing: HDMI Multichannel (from 4.0 to 7.1) audio. I have read various topics of the past that has no or little reply but it seems that Volumio can do multichannel on USB, so it is a matter of software implementation. On this aspect several progress has been done in the last year - at the bottom some links i have found relevant to the topic - so i wonder if Multichannel HDMI Audio Out will be added to Volumio anytime soon.

Thanks for reading

hps://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221734
h
ps://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=207610
h**ps://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/6/1743353164095764346/?ctp=3

Not really, Volumio, and a load of other audiophile solutions, only work with stereo output.
This is not likely to change soon.

+1 for this. One main reason to use HDMI is for multichannel audio. I have a number of multi-channel BD-A and DVD-A discs ripped to FLAC… Volumio plays them, but only the 2 main channels… Less than ideal by a long shot.

Same here. I finally ripped my DVD-A collection to disk (working on SACD next) - both formats have multi-channel hi-res versions in addition to stereo. The hardware/kernel layer supports multichannel over HDMI so it seems odd that Volumio would not take advantage of that?

I am considering adding one of the low-jitter HATs to my Pi for hi-res stereo but am still looking for a way to stream Multichannel over HDMI. Any chance of this (multichannel PCM/DSD passthrough to an HDMI receiver/DAC) being supported?

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-and-interfaces-for-raspberry-pi/ak4118-digital-interface-spdif-i2s-hdmi-lvds-raspberry-pi-3-pi-4-p-14255.html