[GUIDE] Volumio Bluetooth receiver

Ladies and gentlemen,

Is there any chance to get a Bluetooth Plug-In for Volumio?
Or DAB+?

Thanks for your help!

Regards from Munich
Adrian

After spending 20 hours and almost finding all the bits I found there were another 4 pages of discussion and Tx_ukie, vrdsp0 and others had already given all the steps to take. :smiley:

Well almost, as I still have trouble in /bluealsa-aplay. I am having volumio 2.565 on RPi-2 B and a CSR bluetooth adaptor. 5.50 bluez. I have paired and connected the Pi and my Android phone. When the phone plays music can see hci0 receives data using command

sudo hciconfig hci0
sleep 2
sudo hciconfig hci0

But there is no sound and I can see that bluealsa-aplay service has trouble:

sudo systemctl -l status bluealsa-aplay@0C:xxxxxx81
volumio@vopi:~$ sudo systemctl -l status bluealsa-aplay@0C:xxxxxx81.service
● bluealsa-aplay@0C:xxxxxx81.service - BlueAlsa-Aplay --profile-a2dp -d default:CARD=ALSA 0C:xxxxxx81
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluealsa-aplay@.service; disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2019-04-28 04:50:35 UTC; 48s ago
Process: 1582 ExecStart=/usr/bin/bluealsa-aplay --profile-a2dp -d default:CARD=ALSA %I (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 1582 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 28 04:50:35 ddd systemd[1]: Started BlueAlsa-Aplay --profile-a2dp -d default:CARD=ALSA 0C:xxxxxx81.
Apr 28 04:50:35 ddd bluealsa-aplay[1582]: process 1582: arguments to internal_bus_get() were incorrect, assertion "(error) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((error))" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-bus.c line 426.
Apr 28 04:50:35 ddd bluealsa-aplay[1582]: This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
Apr 28 04:50:35 ddd bluealsa-aplay[1582]: /usr/bin/bluealsa-aplay: Couldn't obtain D-Bus connection:

I can reproduce the problem reliably with volumio@vopi:~$ sudo bluealsa-aplay -v -i hci0 -d default:CARD=ALSA --profile-a2dp 0C:...81

I have checked PCM device name with aplay. That is not the problem.

I have done some searching and it seems that the error message is from being unable to get ‘well-known names’ and not handling the error properly.

It’s getting so close. Any thought?

I’ve update some notes. My setup is fully working (headless auto pair), with some tweaks. As always use at your own risk. This is not a how-to, it is a “how i did it” :smiley:

Guide: dropbox.com/s/3svmtvbt7haww … r.pdf?dl=1
All files referenced: dropbox.com/s/6pbtu3zommy05 … 2.tgz?dl=1

Windows 10 sometimes refuses to pair with Volumio (I must retry pairing 2 or 3 times), with Android works flawless.

On the latest volumio (2.583) after a update and upgrade (which ends with some error) with apt-get, followed by a git pull which shows quite a few changes, I re-configured and re-made bluez-alsa and
IT WORKS NOW. Thanks!

edit: volumio has stopped working because mpd cannot start as a result of missing libbcm.so

newest volumio (2.587) with pi3b+hifiberry dac here. the farthest i got, was getting bluetooth to connect, but it didn’t play any sound via the DAC. this was with the method by vrdsp0 on page 3. the method by OP didn’t even let me connect bluetooth (it connected after pairing, but instantly disconnects afterwards. repairing doesn’t help).
so i tried some installation scripts, f.ex. this one: github.com/vrince/volumio-bluetooth-setup
that killed my volumio installation, and i had to reflash volumio. after that i gave up.

so the question is: does anyone know how to get it to work on the current release (2.587) with a DAC (HifiBerry DAC)?

connecting .jpgwhat happen the conecting process
anybody helps?

I think the latest version of volumio already have a BT enabled for playback. Is that different from this one?

i use volumio-2.657-2019-10-18

thank you

Hi
And isn’t it that BT is available on the paid Volumio versions?
This is the result of the system settings (the minimum version is Virtuozo)
That would mean that the official plug for BT, unfortunately, do not count …

Hi
And isn’t it that BT is available on the paid Volumio versions?
This is the result of the system settings (the minimum version is Virtuozo)
That would mean that the official plug for BT, unfortunately, do not count …

Duplicate - sorry

Good evening,

I’m looking for a way to use my old but good amp with my Amazon Firestick 4K.

I have a RPi 3 with a HiFiBerry DAC + running Volumio hooked up to my amp already. I have followed this guide without success, so before I delve into the problem solving (which is most likely caused by my lack of knowledge) can anyone confirm one way or another if this solution would enable the Firestick to send the audio to the Pi’s bluetooth and subsequently Volumio and onto my amp?

Thank you in advance.

Wingnuts.

First, thanks to the author for original post and the guide. As I spent many hours trying to make it work with my volumio setup on rpi2 i will share my setup for all you guys having troubles with it. Its should work with rpi3 and others as well.
I am able to stream music from my iPhone 8P and from Android as well. Works beautifully.

Guide from original post went through many upgrades from the first post, not sure why its not updated though. If you followed original guide these are the things that I did. I’ll try to make it easier for you.

YOU NEED:
BlueZ (compile and install) and bluealsa (compile and install)
When you compile BlueZ, checkout version 5.50
bluealsa, as it is.

DON’T NEED:
bluealsa-aplay@.service
99-input.rules
a2dp-autoconnect (/home/volumio/)

My blualsa.service

[Unit] Description=BluezAlsa proxy Requires=bluetooth.service After=bluetooth.service [Service] Type=simple User=root Group=audio ExecStart=/usr/bin/bluealsa -p a2dp-sink [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target

main.conf /etc/bluetooth/main.conf

[General] Name = Volumio Class = 0x20041C DiscoverableTimeout = 0 PairableTimeout = 0 AutoConnectTimeout = 0

audio.conf /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf

[General] Enable=Source,Sink,Media Class=0x20041C

Now continue from here:
https://gist.github.com/mill1000/74c7473ee3b4a5b13f6325e9994ff84c#file-a2dp-agent

Make sure to install things from the guide, a2dp-agent(/usr/local/bin/), bt-agent-a2dp.service and a2dp-playback.service
I have HiFi DAC on my rpi2 and i changed bluealsa-aplay instruction to play the audio on this device.

ExecStart=/usr/bin/bluealsa-aplay --profile-a2dp 00:00:00:00:00:00 -D default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry

find your device list with: aplay -L

My list example:

volumio@volumio:/lib/systemd/system$ aplay -L null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture) pulse PulseAudio Sound Server default:CARD=ALSA bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Default Audio Device sysdefault:CARD=ALSA bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Default Audio Device dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Direct sample mixing device dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Direct sample mixing device dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 Direct sample mixing device dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Direct sample snooping device dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Direct sample snooping device dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 Direct sample snooping device hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Direct hardware device without any conversions hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Direct hardware device without any conversions hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 Direct hardware device without any conversions plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA Hardware device with all software conversions plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI Hardware device with all software conversions plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2 bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 Hardware device with all software conversions default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 Default Audio Device sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 Default Audio Device dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 Direct sample mixing device dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 Direct sample snooping device hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 Direct hardware device without any conversions plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0 snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus, HiFiBerry DAC+ HiFi pcm512x-hifi-0 Hardware device with all software conversions

Everything else remains the same. Start bluetoothctl, power, scan, pair etc. Enjoy!

Stay safe!
Best regards,
-Milan.

Hi, I have a question for this last method.
Does BT work like this: a playlist plays, e.g. radio or Youtube, I’m connected to BT - I start playing from my phone, for example. The song plays until it ends or a break, Volumio returns to the original playlist?

i m a bit confused with the instructions. if anybody can help me which steps to follow. thanks

Hi everyone

I,m having some problems with this bluetooth reciever.
I followed every step carefully. I see that you staticly add a device (like my phone) trough MAC address. Sadly when i do this it does not connect and give me an error on my iphone.

Is there a way to make the raspberry pi discovarble? I tried typing
[bluetooth]# discoverable on
But with no effect

Also when I am able to connect trough bluetooth, I want to stream music trough the HDMI port on the raspberry pi. Are there any other steps I need to take?

(I do not use any optional soundcards)

Hi.

I followed this thread together with this, as recommended by @milanca.

I am trying to make Volumio sound be redirected to external bluetooth speakers, but, although everything looks normal, no sound comes from the speakers.

volumio@volumio:~$ bluealsa-aplay -L
bluealsa:SRV=org.bluealsa,DEV=00:02:3C:29:BD:27,PROFILE=a2dp
Creative D200, trusted audio-card, playback
A2DP (SBC): S16_LE 2 channels 48000 Hz

and a2dp-playback.service status:

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo systemctl status a2dp-playback.service
● a2dp-playback.service - A2DP Playback
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/a2dp-playback.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2020-07-03 11:22:24 UTC; 19min ago
 Main PID: 1121 (bluealsa-aplay)
   CGroup: /system.slice/a2dp-playback.service
           └─1121 /usr/bin/bluealsa-aplay --profile-a2dp 00:00:00:00:00:00

Jul 03 11:21:32 volumio systemd[1]: Starting A2DP Playback...
Jul 03 11:22:24 volumio systemd[1]: Started A2DP Playback.

bt-agent-a2dp.service status:

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo systemctl status bt-agent-a2dp.service
● bt-agent-a2dp.service - A2DP Bluetooth Agent
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/bt-agent-a2dp.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2020-07-03 11:21:32 UTC; 20min ago
 Main PID: 983 (python)
   CGroup: /system.slice/bt-agent-a2dp.service
           └─983 /usr/bin/python -u /usr/local/bin/a2dp-agent

Jul 03 11:21:32 volumio systemd[1]: Starting A2DP Bluetooth Agent...
Jul 03 11:21:32 volumio A2DP-Agent[933]: [113B blob data]
Jul 03 11:21:32 volumio A2DP-Agent[933]: [bluetooth]# discoverable on
Jul 03 11:21:32 volumio A2DP-Agent[933]: [92B blob data]
Jul 03 11:21:32 volumio systemd[1]: Started A2DP Bluetooth Agent.
Jul 03 11:21:33 volumio A2DP-Agent[983]: A2DP Agent Registered

and

volumio@volumio:~$ bluealsa-aplay -vv 00:02:3C:29:BD:27
Selected configuration:
  BlueALSA service: org.bluealsa
  PCM device: default
  PCM buffer time: 500000 us
  PCM period time: 100000 us
  Bluetooth device(s): 00:02:3C:29:BD:27
  Profile: A2DP

I don’t know if, for example, I should edit /etc/asound.conf

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.softvolume {
    type             plug
    slave.pcm       "softvol"
}

pcm.softvol {
    type            softvol
    slave {
        pcm         "plughw:0,0"
    }
    control {
        name        "SoftMaster"
        card        0
        device      0
    }
max_dB 0.0
min_dB -50.0
resolution 100
}

since aplay -l and aplay -L give

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 7/7
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
  Subdevices: 1/1

aplay -L

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
softvolume
softvol
default:CARD=ALSA
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
    Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
    bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2

If I play manually a wav file, the sound comes to the speaker.

volumio@volumio:~$ aplay -D bluealsa:SRV=org.bluealsa,DEV=00:02:3C:29:BD:27,PROF
ILE=a2dp /mnt/USB/Alesis.wav
Playing WAVE '/mnt/USB/Alesis.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

Then, what could be happening with Volumio itself?

Any help, please?

Thanks!

Is there any experience with volumio 3 and bluetooth input?
I absolutely love the project but I don’t like software leases. Especially when it is not based on cloud functions, there i can understand the additional server expenses over time.
So, any updates on a tweak to use the built in raspberry bluetooth as reciever for streaming music?

1 Like