[GUIDE] Multiboot Volumio2 (with Kodi & al.) under Berryboot

@edegraaff
Which Berryboot version do you currently use (for instance what is the kernel version shown by uname -a)?
For records, latest available berryboot-20180405 uses 4.14.32

You may want to update Berryboot to latest: this can be done from Berryboot GUI, going to Add OS menu and then agree on Berryboot update.
Please let me know if this fixes your issues.
Best

Hi, i will build up a complete new berryboot, the latest and then run the script and see if everything works.
I update later today the results …

I rebuild the whole pi with the latest Berryboot berryboot-20180729-pi0-pi1-pi2-pi3.zip

During the configuration of Berryboot i had some issues to fix:
mounting the iscsi target failed : solution > edit after the initial setup the cmdline.txt changed a bit from datadev=SDA1 to datadev=iscsi
getting the installation working failed due two issues:
auto dns > pi-hole does not allow the connection to the download url : solution: edit /etc/resolv/conf with a normal opendns entry

The script does start the installation multiboot-volumio2-with-kodi-under-berryboot-t6818.html

then i had to fix the last issue the documented setting In cmdline.txt file, you MUST set bootdev=
in my case to mmcblk0p1

changed the berryboot default image to boot to volumio and … there it was… worked again.

have to check it in more detail, but it seems the installation is working again.

regards

eelco

I only have one issue :frowning: … my dac is not working anymore.
Volumio does enable the dac in the config, and everythings looks fine, but no sound…

the berryboot overlays shows the right drivers
hifiberry-amp.dtbo
hifiberry-dac.dtbo
hifiberry-dacplus.dtbo
hifiberry-digi.dtbo
hifiberry-digi-pro.dtbo
hy28a.dtbo
hy28b.dtbo

in config.txt
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi

i should get this
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

but i only get the internal driver and can play over hdmi
if i disable the dtparam=audio=on then there are no audio hardware devices shown…

almost there but not yet complete

./check-system.dac
Checking system

Linux volumio-bb 4.14.58v7-aufs #1 SMP Sat Jul 28 20:40:59 CEST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
Kernel: 4.14.58v7-aufs
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“8”
VERSION=“8 (jessie)”
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums
BUG_REPORT_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs
VOLUMIO_BUILD_VERSION=“b38474a34dd6501a9ca2801645a6a861fdbc549d”
VOLUMIO_FE_VERSION=“f027ce75738c64189018057558e04cba7a74a080”
VOLUMIO_BE_VERSION=“a98512120222cc847d1586e8d2068e08cb058c79”
VOLUMIO_ARCH=“arm”
VOLUMIO_VARIANT=“volumio”
VOLUMIO_TEST=“FALSE”
VOLUMIO_BUILD_DATE=“Thu Jul 26 16:22:33 CEST 2018”

VOLUMIO_VERSION=“2.444”
VOLUMIO_HARDWARE=“pi”
VOLUMIO_HASH=“7f1396787ccc441a3d64fa9fc7c6c303”

snd_soc_bcm2708 module not loaded
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s module not loaded
bcm2708_dmaengine module not loaded
module file /lib/modules/4.14.58v7-aufs/kernel/drivers/dma/bcm2708-dmaengine.ko not found
module file /lib/modules/4.14.58v7-aufs/kernel/sound/soc/bcm/snd-soc-bcm2708-i2s.ko not found
Sound cards
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Playing WAVE ‘sin1000_48khz.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
^CAborted by signal Interrupt…

Unsure these errors are key: according to Hifiberry support:

You may want to ask @maxnet about this in berryboot issues: maybe there are some missing bits in berryboot distribution now.
I’ve not checked berryboot with hifiberry boards lately, while I noticed some hifiberry driver changes a few months back: maybe it is now broken.
I’ll try to get a hold of a hifiberry setup: I’ve seen other similar complaint with hifiberry-amp BTW.

one more thing: can you copy & paste here the complete config.txt file content?
In particular, have you set dtparam=i2c_arm=on?

Updated first post with new redirection service which should work better.
This requires up-to-date Berryboot binaries (v 2018-09-29 or later).

Please report any problem here.

I’ve been trying to get Volumio set up under Berryboot in my spare time over the last week and have encountered behaviour that I’m not sure is normal. I’ve got two questions:

1. After setting bootdev=/dev/mmcblk0p1 is it normal that on the next restart, berryboot is unable to mount the system partitian? Consequently I can no longer view or edit cmdline.txt or config.txt from the berryboot gui. If I don’t include /dev/ in front of mmcblk0p1 then berryboot wont boot at all.

2. Volumio boots to ssh rather than the gui. Is this normal? I was definitely expecting it to launch to the gui just as it does when I flash a copy to a dedicated sd card. Can I launch the gui from ssh? I’ve looked through the documentation but must have my blinders on.

Any suggestions for what I’m doing wrong? My Pi is a brand new 3B+ and my SD card is 32GB. I only started playing this week so as far as I know I’ve been using all the latest versions of berryboot etc.

Hi,

Thanks for trying.

re 1: It is an issue with latest berryboot-20190612: I noticed some change in boot sequence just happened, and there’s some inconsistent treatment of bootdev argument. Until this is resolved, can you try with previous berryboot-20181211 version?

re2: this is intended Volumio behavior: Pi is a headless server, remote UI is served via Web interface to connecting device (PC, phone, tablet: connect to volumio.local or whatever IP you Pi has). You may install additional plugin to also have UI on the Pi, but you need to access via Web first to do it…
All this is in the user doc (check link in my signature below).

Scripts updated: now also support berryboot-20190612 & later.

Note for earlier users: bootdev parameter tweaking is NOT necessary anymore, and cmdline.txt should be cleaned-up removing bootdev=mmcblk0p1 if using standard SD setup.
Parameter definition is only needed if booting from USB.

I wonder if it’s possible to install a custom Volumio image as the one here: nanomesher.com/nanosound-cd-support/ ans maintain installed plugins

The image link is here nanomesher.com/?smd_process_dow … ad_id=4031

Thanks in advanced

Hi,
sorry just saw your message now, as notifications were not working with earlier forum.

Install & updates are only supported with stock Volumio distribution.
However, it you replicate that image install from stock image (with plugins & al), then everything will smoothly update through Volumio releases.

Is the version of Volumio on Berryboot still relatable? Im not even able to finish the config on volumio.local its so laggy. On SD card with normal image no problem tho…

Is it new Volumio install or upgrade? (assuming original install done through github script)
Which device?
Which Berryboot release date(i.e kernel)?
It’s true Berryboot is unfortunately not frequently updated with kernel releases, and maxnet does not seem to be willing to support non armv8 Pi devices anymore…

Original install done through github script with Raspbian.
Raspberry Pi 4B 2GB model
Berryboot-20200612-pi4

I am able to boot it, but the config wizard on volumio.local don’t register change and loading time are way too slow its un-usable

I do not have Pi4 to test unfortunately, but there have been some earlier success reports.
Can you install an earlier Volumio version (like 2.779 which was reported OK), set-it up & test.
And then do an update with Volumio UI?

How do i install earlier version of volumio? I can only find the 2.8xx version not the 2.799

my install scripts give you the option to type in desired Volumio version.

Unfortunately, berryboot has now abandoned support for Pi 0/1/2, and focuses exclusively on 64bit architecture Pi3/Pi4.
While berryboot-scripts may still happen to work for some time, I don’t think I’ll be supporting/fixing them in the future, and I’ll probably move Github project to archive mode.
Anyone motivated can eventually fork/take it from here.