[Guide] Install Squeezelite on Volumio (RaspPi)

I just set this up on my Pi. I am currently using the analog audio port and get a bunch of crackling and popping when playing thru Squeezelite. I have a LMS server on a windows machine and am controlling squeezelite thru the Logitech IOS app.
Airplay works and sounds great, its just when I am using Squeeze.

I would prefer to use the analog port if I can.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi, you have to go to /etc/init.d/squeezelite and edit the buffer like this

SL_ALSA_PARAMS="200" 

Reboot and normaly it will work

Hi,
great idea. Will it also work with the Hifiberry DAC on a RPI B+?
Thanks for answers.

Troubleshooting?
Hi,
thank you for this nice tutorial which I immediately had followed.
I have a RPI B+ and a Hifiberry Soundcard, which worked under RuneAudio.
However, I am having severe problems:
I followed the installation routine provided by you but the RPi is not being recognised by LMS let alone any app on my phone.
I tried to restart the RPI (ie pulling the plug) but to no avail.
When I first had installed Volumio plus Squeezelite I was using a LAN-connection. Now however I use WLAN. Connection the LAN however does not make the RPI appear either.
How can I best deal with these problems? Thank you for replying!

hi, in a word: GREAT!

I’m running Squeezebox since 2003, Squeezelite is running on a old P4 intel and an Alix board both with Voyage (was Voyage MPD but …), both are always on with no problem at all.

I saw someone is asking for Volumio supporting .cue files in another thread, as far as I know, MPD is the problem, and I doubt You could find a way to handle it in a nice way, LMS and Squeezelite handle .cue file in a fair way (not really perfect, but…) and could also derive form cue some meta info (not to say tag becouse they are not really tag, but LMS handle them exactly in the same way) very usefull for classical music like compoer and director, not even standard in cue files.

Could be a winner solution, LMS is a great server side software, squeezelite do it’s job very well as player in a very discrete and non intrusive way, Volumio - as an optimized for music os - could be the key to archive very good results.

Now I’m looking for a suitable hardware (processor and DAC) to build a state of the art music renderer, I think we have al the components for a killer here.

Many thanks to everybody for this great job, you make me feel proud to be Italian, and we need it.

Hi,

I tried installing Squeezelite on a Rasp B using this guide, but at the last step when i try starting squeezelite using /etc/init.d/squeezelite start i get this error: Error: script /usr/local/bin/squeezelite_settings.sh not found.

Any idea what could be the cause?

Thanks a lot !

Linus

Same for me. I use this solution:

sudo wget http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/squeezelite_settings.sh sudo mv squeezelite_settings.sh /usr/local/bin sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/squeezelite_settings.sh

http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-installing-squeezelite-player-on-raspbian/

Haha thanks, i just found it before you posted :slight_smile:

But now i have this issue: with the onboard soundcard it is working, but crackling sound when using Squeezelite, normal when using Volumio.

So i installed a USB DAC, and now i only have sound when using Volumio, none when using Squeezelite.

any ideas?

The DAC is setup as the default device (i think) but the sound is still coming out of the RPI soundcard… :’(

Strange thing is also that i can’t seem to find this line:

#SL_SOUNDCARD="sysdefault:CARD=ALSA"

edit:

So i think i have to edit the soundcard here:

sudo /usr/bin/squeezelite-armv6hf -l

But no idea how to do that .

Okay found it :slight_smile:

We just need to edit it here:

sudo nano /usr/local/bin/squeezelite_settings.sh

Hello,

I have a domoticz server and volumio on my raspberry.

When i try
cd /etc/init.d/
update-rc.d squeezelite defaults

root@volumio:/etc/init.d# update-rc.d squeezelite defaults
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: script ‘MyDomoAtHome’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: There is a loop between service monit and MyDomoAtHome if stopped
insserv: loop involving service MyDomoAtHome at depth 2
insserv: loop involving service monit at depth 1
insserv: Stopping MyDomoAtHome depends on monit and therefore on system facility `$all’ which can not be true!
insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header

Thanks for your help

Hi Everyone!
I try to create my multiroom audio system with airplay for each zone and I tryed Squeezebox with airplay plugin installed, but it is very unstable. So I’m interesting in this topic. Those who installed squeezelite on Volumio, tell me please, how squeezelite works with airplay? If on Raspberry Pi with Volumio and squeezelite I’m playing squeezelite stream from Deezer and than start to stream music from my iPhone to the same Raspberry Pi, what happened? Squeezelite will be paused? Or Muted? Or Squeezelite and airplay will be play simultaneously?
When I disconnect Airplay what happens? And how stable is this airplay connection?

Hi there,
I’m new to Volumio and the multiroom-thing and LMS, but have experience in Linux and Raspberry Pi.
So here is my scenario:
My LMS on my Ubuntu-Server is normally not running.
In the kitchen I listen to webradion with the volumio. That’s enough for the most days.
But if I’m in the mood to play some of my mp3 to either my raspberry and/or laptop in living room I like to use LMS and squeezeplay.
(I start the server with a wol.cmd, works well).
So what I didn’t understand, how can I switch my Volumio to use the LMS.

You install squeezelite on the Volumio. So I stop the webradio in Volumio, start my server and squeezelite automatically connects? Or have start Squeeze with a seperate app???
Didn’t catch that exactly.

Thanks for a bit help
Michael

newbie here… just got ALLO DigiOne player and have installed the plugin, squeezelite.
so how do i play the darn thing?
where is the UI?

my LMS is running on a NAS.
i have used SqueezePlayer in the past, so i suppose my question is
where is its equivalent on Volumio?
i thought squeezelite was it.

please advise…
hong

«Папиловит» — быстро и безопасно избавит от любых папиллом и бородавок.
Наш сайт: lcokbhlw.bestseller-super.ru