[GUIDE] Improve WiFi Speed and Performance

sudo nano /etc/nsswitch.conf

Modify the file to look like this…save and reboot. My Wifi speed more than doubled and Switching between Multiroom Volumio’s speed greatly increased also.

I’m not sure I understand why this “doubles” your wifi speed.

I see only two changes that you have made

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns

is changed to

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

But, since all of the services after the “[NOTFOUND=return]” are effectively disabled, removing one of them (“wins”) shouldn’t have any effect.

The other change is

protocols: db files services: db files ethers: db files rpc: db files
is changed to

protocols: files services: files ethers: files rpc: files

Now, since Volumio doesn’t have the libnss-db package installed, there’s no point listing it in /etc/nsswitch.conf (nss will return an error and immediately try the “files” service, which is installed). So, while your version is more correct, highly doubt it’s any faster.

Maybe I’m not understanding something about the setup of your local network. Could you explain?

I have no idea how this exactly works, but I’m also missing another entry, my current conf:

[code]volumio@VolumioDigi:~$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf

/etc/nsswitch.conf

Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.

If you have the glibc-doc-reference' and info’ packages installed, try:

`info libc “Name Service Switch”’ for information about this file.

passwd: compat
group: compat
shadow: compat

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns
networks: files

protocols: db files
services: db files
ethers: db files
rpc: db files

netgroup: nis[/code]

So the netgroup is removed as well, maybe that influences speed?

I am very interested as well to know the reason, so in case I will integrate in Volumio

I imagine that Volumio never makes any netgroup lookups, so eliminating that line ought to have no effect.

If Volumio (or some piece of software installed on top of Volumio) ever didmade a netgroup query, eliminating that line would produce an error. So not a good idea.

On the other hand, eliminating the “db” service from the “protocols”, “services”, “ethers” and “rpc” lookups is probably a good idea, since Volumio doesn’t have the libnss-db package installed.