[GUIDE] How to set up Volumio to reboot nightly

yes, you are not creating the file systemd-reboot.timer with ‘nano’ for some reason.

Oh wow, my mistake … sorry you need to hit CTRL-O to write the file, and CTRL-X to exit back to command line. I’m going to go back and edit my original post for the sake of clarity for people following afterwards.

Hi,

Took a few goes… but hopefully it’s working - is there any way of checking that it’s actually doing the job? Will this: cat /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

tell me?

Many thanks,

Robert

Have afeeling that this is now looking psitive!

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

[Unit]

Description=Reboot daily at 1am

[Timer]

OnCalendar=--* 1:00:00

[Install]

WantedBy=timers.target

volumio@volumio:~$

There is an error in this post, please go here for further details.

The easiest way to check is to edit the file:

1. Stop the timer from running.
    sudo systemctl stop /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer
  1. Edit the file to include a time say 10 minutes from now.
sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

So change the 01:00 to say 14:10 in the OnCalendar= line, save the file CTRL-o, and exit nano CTRL-x

1. Restart the timer.
sudo systemctl start /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

and wait until your set time (14:10) is reached… the RPi should reboot.

To your other question, ‘cat’ just shows the contents of the file.

Dear chsims1,
thank you for your reboot code.
I have created the file and all works pretty. at 1:00am the mashine did made a reboot,

volumio@volumio-bad:~$ cat /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer
[Unit]
Description=Reboot daily at 1am

[Timer]
OnCalendar=*-*-* 1:00:00

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

but what I am realy wondering is, after I enable the code and want to start the code the following message comes up:

volumio@volumio-bad:~$ sudo systemctl start /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer
Failed to start etc-systemd-system-systemd\x2dreboot.timer.mount: Unit etc-systemd-system-systemd\x2dreboot.timer.mount failed to load: No such file or directory.

On the end it works but I can not trace why? Do you have an idea?
Kind regards Korniman

I think that you have made a typo somewhere.

Once you have enabled the file ok, it will automatically start after a reboot. You can see if it is running successfully by typing ‘sudo systemctl status systemd-reboot.timer’.

volumio@volumiostudy:~$ sudo systemctl status systemd-reboot.timer
● systemd-reboot.timer - Reboot daily at 1am
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (waiting) since Mon 2021-04-19 06:38:59 UTC; 17s ago
  Trigger: Tue 2021-04-20 01:00:00 UTC; 18h left

Apr 19 06:38:59 volumiostudy systemd[1]: Started Reboot daily at 1am.

So to summarise:

sudo systemctl enable timerfile         start timer automatically after a reboot.
sudo systemctl start timerfile             start timer immediately
sudo systemctl stop timerfile             stop timer immediately
sudo systemctl restart timerfile          restart timer if it is already running
sudo systemctl status timerfile          shows status of the timer

As the reboot function work at night perfectly and the check of typos was without results, it seems maybe only the feedback by the code is wrong depending on my raspi system. On my installation I add a real time clock as an small IC connected to the Gpios: “Adafruit DS3231 Precision RTC Breakout” and the reboot code receives not the write feedback as software clock is deactivated

Maybe you have a clue about?
Cheers

I do not understand this line at all:

Failed to start etc-systemd-system-systemd\x2dreboot.timer.mount: 
Unit etc-systemd-system-systemd\x2dreboot.timer.mount failed to load: No such file or directory.

Is this something to do with your RTC? Where has the x2drereboot.timer.mount file come from?

“etc-systemd-system-systemd\x2dreboot.timer.mount” has an invalid backslash in it (but it looks remarkedly similar to the normal systemd path and file of “/etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer”

I think this is a result of executing

sudo systemctl enable /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

IIRC only the unit name (not its path) has to be used with systemctl, so IMHO the command to enable “systemd-reboot.timer” would have to be

sudo systemctl enable systemd-reboot.timer

To get rid of the cited error message run

sudo systemctl disable /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

P.S. “\x2d” is systemd escaping the “-” sign in “systemd-reboot.timer”.

You’re exactly right @gvolt, thank you for the correction. :slight_smile: No idea why I did it. I’m not going to go back and change each post, because it loses context for someone following the topic chronologically, so I will just add a link at the end of the two incorrect posts pointing here.

My sincere apologies for my mistake in including the path to the timer file when the timer is started/stopped/enabled … you just use the timer filename. (However, you do still need to use the full path when creating the file with ‘nano’.)

Incorrect:

sudo systemctl start /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

Correct:

sudo systemctl start systemd-reboot.timer

If you followed the original posts (using full path), then you also need to run:

sudo systemctl disable /etc/systemd/system/systemd-reboot.timer

(Don’t forget to enable it again, correctly … sudo systemctl enable systemd-reboot.timer).

Dear @gvolt and @chsims1 , thank you for your great support!. That has been working like a charm now.
Cheers
Korniman

:+1: Thank you for the feedback!