Format for music drive?

I’m setting up a USB disk for Volumio but can’t find any documentation about what disk formats are accepted. I’m on a Mac so I have trouble writing NTSF. Can I do exFat? I’d rather not to FAT because that will mangle filenames. I only see posts from <2015 that say “only NTSF/FAT are supported”. Is this still the case in 2017?

Thanks,

-k.

That’s a really good question, and after a 10 minute search I couldn’t find a definitive list of supported filesystems for Raspbian (on which Volumio is based). There are often drivers that you can install to manage unsupported filesystems … have a look at the Raspbian/Debian wikis. The best answer that I can find to answer your question is to run ‘cat /proc/filesystems’ at the command line … this will show what is currently supported on your device; if you add drivers, for example for HFS+, then they should appear here too.

1 Like

You can use exfat :wink: Bear in mind that it’s quite fragile… So you might end up with a corrupted disk if you remove it without unmounting it first…

1 Like

I had similar issues with a 2TB NTFS drive not updating music files. Volumio would “browse” continuously. Formatted drive as FAT32 and everything is working fine now and long filenames are supported.

Filename on drive:

ACDC - Back In Black [Vinyl] - 03 - What Do You Do For Money Honey.flac

Western Digital 2TB Passport
External, powered USB hub
Raspberry Pi 3
FX Audio DAC-X6

1 Like