Filesystem corrupt?

Not really a bug, but did anyone else notice that the ext4 filesystem has errors on it? This is with both the 1.4 and 1.4.1 images. A “sudo shutdown -rF now” fixed this.

How did you notice the errors?

Once I cought a message during boot about filesystem corruption.
Later I switched to 1.41, and because of the earlier message forced an fsck after flashing. The fsck then found and corrected errors.

Nice one, that could become the default shutdown command…

I wouldn’t recommend this: The fsck at boot time takes a while, especially if the SD card is large (I use a 64GB one, and carry some sample music on it).

What would be good though is to take steps to reduce the likelihood of filesystem corruption:

• Write log files to memory, instead of to the SD card
  • Disable swap entirely (swapping would kill the music playback anyway). Maybe that’s even done, I haven’t checked.
  • Write log files to memory, instead of to the SD card
  • Disable swap entirely (swapping would kill the music playback anyway). Maybe that’s even done, I haven’t checked.

Both are already active. Logs are on ram, synced at shutdown and swap is disabled. Think the only way to avoid corruption is use a partition mounted on RAM… I will work on that. Anyway, SD card corruption is physiological, and it’s not really a big deal… This is not really a problem…
Also, the major cause of corruption on Raspberry PI is inadequate power supply, it must be beetween 4,75 and 5,25 Volts and at least 700mA. If it doesn’t fit those requirements the SD Card is likely to be dead, or heavily corrupted, within few days

Thanks, it looks like everything is taken care of! The filesystem corruption that I have seen didn’t cause any issues that I could detect.

I was unsure at first, because at boot time two errors are being reported (missing file /usr/sbin/dropbear, and failure to start service “transientlog” with a “permission denied” and a report of missing /run/player_wrk.pid). So initially I thought one of these files was missing due to a corrupted filesystem.

So far I always used my iPad’s power supply. It’s a bit on the high side by delivering 5.2 Volts, so I hope it doesn’t go out of spec too much. It worked fine until now, though.

I’m seeing the same thing on Version 1.5x, Volumio suddenly will crash, then the system won’t boot again as it runs into a kernel panic because of a corrupt filesystem. This is on a new SD Card (old one got shredded…) which has only been running for two days on an asus adapter which should provide 2A.