Experimental Volumio Build for Raspberry PI 4

Any experiences with Allo Reclocker? Does it work with full function with this beta?

I just installed this and so far it seems to be working well. I am using it with ethernet. I will be trying wifi and the hotspot.

I was previously using Volumio 2 on my Pi 3B+ with the Kodi plugin. I can’t seem to get that to work, now. I have it installed and am able to access the settings, but I can’t sign into it on a web browser or on my phone with the Kodi app.

Testing the PI4 2 GB + HifiBerry for 2 days now.
So far everything seems to be working fine.

Findings:
The browse and playback text sometimes appears 2x (next to eachother)

Wishlist:
Whatever error message pops up (top right corner), it disappears in less than a second. It’s impossiblle to read what the error is.
Please keep it on screen and add an OK button so that the user can read it and OK it.

Is it possible to make the text of the artist/title etc. scalable.
It looks a bit odd to have this spread over 3 lines.

Not sure if is already possile but add in the GUI a tile which makes it possible to connect to a tablet/phone etc as a source for playback music.

I think one useful feature would be a temperature app / display. The pi 4 sure does get hot.

Hello
Thank you very much for the very valuable work and the development of Volumio! It is getting perfect!
Wow, this Volumio version works really fast!

Allo BOSS works perfectly.

Qobuz works fine. (44.1 / 16 to 192/24)
1st start after a skip to the next track, the sound stopped and could not be restarted. (Play icon above)
After a restart of the system, it has worked perfectly well with Skip. There were no more problems.
If an album is played in Qobuz and the three points - “go to interpreter” works perfectly. But the home button on the top left does not work.
The same with “go to album”.
If you switch to Playback and then to “Browse” you are in the Home Overview.

There are generally no artist pictures displayed. (Qobuz, Library) Not even after a few minutes.

Radio - By Country (Dirble) does not work.
For example, I can not find “Radio Swiss Pop” via the search on the top right. It would probably work on Dirble.

Greetings
rost21A

But does it sound as good? :ugeek:

I am using it with a RBPi4 w/ 2G RAM and Allo MiniBoss to test the MiniBoss DAC I was having trouble getting any sound out of on a Raspberry Pi Zero WH.

The power supply is an iFi iPower. I was a little skeptical it would put out enough amps for the 4, especially given I can’t power the DAC separately with the MiniBoss like I can with the Boss DAC. But it’s working fine.

(see allo-miniboss-rpb-zero-sound-none-zip-nada-t12656.html for prior unsuccessful tries with same DAC on Zero…)

It’s working fine. I’m listening to Tidal right now on it. I’ve also tested with Pandora and playing from my library over a wireless network drive. All good.

I may switch out one of the two RBP 3 B+ units setup on other players in the house with the regular Allo Boss 1.2 DAC.

Good question, i canˋt answer. I only installed for testing purposes, not for soundchecks.

Thanks for supplying us with a new version for the Pi 4!

Just tested it with my setup:

• Pi 4 2GB
  • Raspberry 7" touch screen
  • IQaudio DigiAmp+

Works good so far. Airplay works. Play from USB works. Webradio works. Touch display plugin works .One discovery I made is that you have to disable overscan for the Pi touch screen. Otherwise you will have a border around the output and UI will be messed up. I added disable_overscan=1 to config.txt.
If you check for updates, you get version 2.502 offered. Thats probably not intended.

Thanks for the work so far.

Hi, I can only boot to volumio login and then nothing. I AM a newbie here, I would appreciate some help or advice.

Thanks

Type
ifconfig eth0 (if wired) or
ifconfig wlan0 (if wi-fi)

Make a note of you IP address (192.168.0.xx probably)

Now using a PC on the same network as above, enter the IP address in a browser

This will show the Volumio interface.

Go through the initial setup, setting correct DAC (if used)
Have some music tracks on a USB stick or HDD connected to Pi.
Volumio, my music, refresh will index the tracks
Play tracks…

I’ve just attempted to boot the experimental Volumio image on a 1G Raspberry PI4. The boot doesn’t complete. Console login does work (screen on hdmi + USB keyboard). ifconfig eth0 show that no IP address has been assigned to eth0. ifdown/ifup eth0 doesn’t help - ifup is unsuccessful. Raspbian Buster Lite does work - eth0 does get an IP address and apt-get update/upgrade run fine.

UPDATE: I now have Volumio working with wired network. I’ve had two boots where eth0 didn’t work but rebooting fixed the issue. Could indicate a hardware initialization issue on the PI 4.

Installed experimental image on Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB Ram) with Allo Boss 1.2 DAC and Allo i2S isolator powered by 4 1650 batteries.

Plugins include Nanomesher CD and GPIO buttons, which I’m using for Play/Pause, Next Track and Previous Track.

It’s working with a wired network connection but not on wireless.

Setup with Wifi no problem.
When streaming from Qobuz, I cannot stream 24 bit data stream, only 16 bits at 44.1Khz.
Same account settings as Pi 3 streams 24 bit 96Khz.

I’ve downloaded the recent update 26/7/2019 on to my pi 3 and moved the SD card to my pi 4. Wow it’s super fast, Spotify works ok, search bar is back and working well, I’ve haven’t done any sound quality comparison Tests yet but I will in the near future, I hope to notice a difference because I use a usb DAC (audioquest dragonfly red).

A temperature monitor / display would be a useful feature for the pi 4.

update 26/7/2019: volumio-2.598-2019-07-26-pi.img
Raspberry Pi 4 B 4GB Ram
I am unable to connect WiFi 802.11ac mode AC-Only. I can connect AC/N Mixed mode. This is the same as on the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+.

I just received my RPi4 and downloaded the experimental version - will provide feedback after I play with it for a while.
In the mean time, a suggestion:
Would you please consider making a page (or a spot on an existing webpage e.g. Volumio home page?) that contains a description of the: current build version and date, a status (e.g. still in testing, released) and synopsis of any know (significant?) issues/potential fixes? Also about build compatability? (I assume the builds for the different Pi platforms may be different and potentially may be merged later…)
Having something easily visible/explicit wrt to state of the build for the RPi4 would be helpful.
Thanks
J

Hi All

['ve just installed the experimental build on a 2gb PI 4, Allo Digi1 Signature.

With Virtuoso, Tidal works very well and sounds superb.

One thing for other signature users.

Volumio Restart does not find the Allo card on restart but I think that may be more about the signatures start up requirements (needs the clean side power well in advance of the PI power up). A hard reboot fixes the issue.

The CD payer works nicely but no track info or artwork displays.

Nice work guys.

Hi Shoom

I have the Pi4 1GB and Signature. Play drops out from time to time on every song. I am using allo 5V 3A power adapter. I use an external ssd for music. Can I ask what power supply you are using?

ESandov