Hello community members,
I started streaming music using a Sonos Connect in 2012, and later added a Schiit Modi DAC to improve the sound. When I thought about further upgrading (Sonos cannot do hi-res), I was tempted to go for a Linn Majik DS, but instead discovered the Volumio project. So I sat down and spent some time to assemble the following bits and pieces. Definitely more fun than buying a finished product…
- A ES9018K2M DAC PCB from DIYINHK (I replaced the original NE5532 with a OPA2134)
- A 23 step stepped attenuator from Valab, 10k log
- A homemade power supply, using a 2x15VAC 0.8A transformer (inside a plastic enclosure for insulation), and a DIY PCB supplying 2x 3.3V and +/-12V to the DAC, through low noise LDO’s
- A 3$ Ebay DCDC converter to supply 5V to the Raspberry Pi
- A Galaxy Maggiorato GX383 enclosure from HIFI2000
The sound? Great! I keep on discovering my music collection over and over again.
Thank you to the Volumio staff for this great project.
Source: WD Live Book 1TB + Digitus 983A NAS Adapter
Streamer: Volumio 1.51 + ES9018K2M
Speakers: Abacus APC24-23C AMT (active)
Subwoofer: KEF PSW2500