Error when trying to install Touch Display plugin

OK. 2 power cycles brought me the kiosk mode. First power cycle just gave grey/cursor, second power cycle brought up the kiosk.

[edit] I am using the MIPI DSI / touchscreen, not an HDMI/USB adapter. Might be related.

Thank you again!

wasn’t aware that this also happend with the Tinkerboard. I know this behavior from the x86 image (white screen instead of grey :wink: ). But a reboot also solves this.
Glad to hear things are going!

On x86 the grey or white screen seems to be a standard first boot failure on slower Intel Atom devices. Never had that issue on more powerfull notebooks or Nucs.
I had some success with increasing the timeout in the volumiokiosk startup script, it will be added to a new release soon.

1 Like

Just for future reference, in case anyone else stumbles across this thread like I did:

I ran into the same issue enabling the touch plugin on a clean install. I initially dealt with an install issue which I ended up fixing with a simple sudo dpkg --configure -a via SSH and reinstalling the plugin.

Second (and which may be relevant for others in this thread) is that X failed to start, which I confirmed by running systemctl status -l volumio-kiosk.service. This reported the following:

● volumio-kiosk.service - Volumio Kiosk
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/volumio-kiosk.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2024-03-03 14:58:40 CET; 9min ago
  Process: 1077 ExecStart=/usr/bin/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /opt/volumiokiosk.sh -- -nocursor (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 1077 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 03 14:57:34 volumio systemd[1]: Started Volumio Kiosk.
Mar 03 14:57:34 volumio startx[1077]: /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg.wrap: Only console users are allowed to run the X server
Mar 03 14:58:40 volumio startx[1077]: xinit: giving up
Mar 03 14:58:40 volumio startx[1077]: xinit: unable to connect to X server: Cannot assign requested address
Mar 03 14:58:40 volumio startx[1077]: xinit: server error
Mar 03 14:58:40 volumio systemd[1]: volumio-kiosk.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 03 14:58:40 volumio systemd[1]: volumio-kiosk.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

What appeared to be causing this was Xorg.wrap: Only console users are allowed to run the X server. I fixed this by adding the following to /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config (file was empty): allowed_users = anybody.

After restarting the kiosk service with a simple sudo systemctl restart volumio-kiosk.service X worked!
All I had to do after that was add lcd_rotate = 2 to /boot/userconfig.txt because for some reason the rotation option in the settings did nothing and my 7" Pi official touchscreen was upside down.

After all this everything is up and running on my Pi4B+Pi touch+HifiBerry DAC+.

This is a fairly old thread and the problem has (had) nothing to do with the issue your post addresses, as the problem involved Tinkerboard devices (not Pi).

Also please avoid cross-posting.