Engage in Translations: New and simplified translation system

Hello everyone,
It has been mentioned in this topic already : A new system to provide volumio translations has been launched. The open source software Weblate is used.

It should simplifiy the process of translating volumio into other languages and hopefully speed up the whole process.

If’ you’d like to help and having a fully localised volumio software in the end, feel free to use this new tool.

Most of volumios language strings should already be available there, but we continue to add new language strings there.

The translation view looks like this:

The English language string is provided on the top, the translation can be entered in the lower text field. The language Key (displayed as “Key:” might give you some guidance, where this string is used.
The source info panel on the right side, might provide additional info. Even screenshots might appear there (but currently there are just a few available).
Below the Translation box, you’ll find tabs to view Nearby strings and Keys, as well as comment on a translation or on the given english string. If you speak other languages, you might also check translations for other languages here.

For a speedy translation, you can also enter the “Zen-Mode”. The button is at the top on the right side. In Zen-Mode, you’ll see multiple translation at once and you can enter them in one screen.

The system will monitor the progress and offer guidance in some cases:

When reviewing these guidance, always ask yourself if it indeed a valid suggestion. Is the given translation correct, is there a mistake already in the given English string, or can the suggestion simply be dismissed?)

We don’t want to carry over potential mistakes, from the english language to other languages, just to have no “Failed checks” from the translation tool. :wink:

Our current language stats:
Translation status

If you can imagine participating in Volumio’s translation, you’d be more than welcome to do so and your effort is highly appreciated!

You can do so by visiting and signing up at:

1 Like

Hi,

I like to test my Hungarian translation on “real” working volumio … for example on my Odroid-C2 unit … just to see that all words, sentences fit into their places … and to feel the correctness of hungarian words …

How can I download and where to insert language files via SSH ?

Best wishes !

Sorry for the late reply.
You can download the translations files on https://translation.volumio.org as json files.
Simple go to the Volumio2 or Volumio2-UI project click on files and select “Download translation files as zip”. When you extract the zip file, you’ll find the translation (.json) files in a subdirectory.

To use these translation files, you’ll need to put them in the corresponding directory on your volumio device.

The directory for Volumio2 translations on your current volumio install should be
/volumio/app/i18n

The directory for Volumio2-UI files should be:
/volumio/http/www3/app/i18n

When the new files are in place, volumio needs to be restarted.

Just started contributing. Nice platform.

1 Like

Doesn’t this have to be
/volumio/app/i18n
??

Also, if you download the translated files they are named
volumio-volumio2-ui-xx.json and
volumio-volumio2-xx.json

However the actual string files in Volumio seem to be
/volumio/app/i18n/strings_xx.json
and
/volumio/http/www3/app/i18n/locale-xx.json

Is it OK just change the file names and put in the corresponding directories?

Sorry, you are absolutely correct. The directory should be /volumio/app/i18n. I will correct it in my original post.

This happens, when downloading only a single language. If you download all languages as a zip file, the filenames should be ok:

When extracting them, they are exactly named as they should be:

It should be no problem to simply rename the downloaded file. Just make sure not to mix up volumio2 with volumio2-ui.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Over a year ago I asked for the update of my Croatian translation which I fixed (Contribute by Translating Volumio to your Language - #77 by Vlado64), because I discovered a lot of mistakes after using it. To me it is weird that the first translation with all the mistakes was included in the new translation tool, even though the new updated one was available. After I’ve seen for a few months that with each new Volumio update constantly comes the first bad translation, I gave up. The fixed one I use for myself, and now each time I update Volumio, I have to overwrite that old default bad translation of mine with the new one. I have no time nor patience anymore, in new system, to go through all the strings which I have fixed over a year ago. I hope it will be done by someone else.
In any case, I would like for the translation to be updated with the one I provided the link for.

I would like to correct some things in the Dutch translation. But reading the above, I wonder if the translation by community is still active.

You can go to GitHub - volumio/translations: Volumio Translations Files
and send a GitHub pull request