Edimax wifi not always connecting at boot

Hello, I have an Edimax EW-7811UN wifi usb adapter, this one:

80% of time it works fine, it connects at boot and everything works.

But there are times it would not connect at boot, thus leaving my (headless) pi “isolated” from my wlan.
I can easily see because the led on the wifi adapter stays off when that happens.
In that case, I just reboot volumio(I have a button) and then it works fine.

I don’t know why it does that.

I’m using WEP, I need to use wep for other reasons.
Also need static IP, this is my etc/networks:

[code]auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.35
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wireless-essid MYESSID
wireless-key MYHEXWEPKEY[/code]

I see no errors on boot when it happens. The feeling I get is that’s kinda acting like there is a timeout, if it doesn’t connect inside that time frame it just stops trying and continues booting without wifi.

I also disabled the power saving of the wlan adapter, by creating /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

# Disable power saving options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0
This solved a problem with wlan shutting off after minutes of inactivity, it did change nothing on this boot problem.

Are there logs to check to see what’s happening?

Sorry, I do not have a solution, but I have the same adapter and have also problems to get it to work. The light of the adapter, does not light up.
Hope someone has a suggestion.

I don’t have that one, but something very similar: modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/acc … e-nano-usb

In the past I had some problems getting wifi up too, turned out the reason was that the unit did not get enough power, apparently the wifi radio needs some real juice. Try using a 2A USB adaptor.

HTH,

Sven

thank you for replies.
@fakob: if the light is not on after boot, then it means that it’s not connected to a network OR that it’s down.

@svc: I’m using a 2.1amp amazonbasics adapter… I don’t remember this happening on runeaudio nor in older volumio 1.4x versions.

IIRC I can see it blinking normally on boot even when it doesn’t connect, so shouldn’t be power related.

Can’t replicate it on purpose, it just does it all by itself, I’m not changing anything on config files or menu.

will try to find out more as soon as it happens.