Ebook readers compatibility with Volumio

I can’t guarantee you it will work, since I never tried. If I had to bet, I would say it won’t work (socket.io was not working on android prior to 4.4).

Thank you for explanation! Would you so kind as to advise cheap and vell tested tablets or smartphones for using with Volumio?

As per page 1 of this thread:

Amazon, AliExpress, Banggood etc have a whole variety of tablets and smartphones.

What specification should they have to use them with Volumio?

Would you so kind as to advise cheap and vell tested tablets or smartphones for using with Volumio?
Volumio Android APPs uses socket.io and should use android 4.4 :astonished: ?

Given the wide variety of what is available, it would be helpful if you provide the following information:

~ Where in the world are you?
~ Do you already have a mobile phone contract?
~ Pay as you go or monthly?
~ What wifi are you running, 2.4 or 5 GHz?
~ What else would you like to do with your tablet/phone?
~ Where is your music stored, NAS ?
~ Do you want to stream, Tidal, Spotify etc?
~ What is your budget?

I haven’t any mobile phone contracts and want organize Internet radio streaming (I have playlist) and use my WIFI LAN 100Mb/s for control SparkySBC+KALi +DAC . No need in Tidal and Spotify .

DAC?

Amp?

Speakers?

How much do you want to spend?

In what country do you live?

I have DAC AMP and speakers. I am repeating I just want control my SPARKY SBC+KALI+DAC and need cheap remote control device (tablet).

Here are a couple of options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tablet-Google-Android-KitKat-Bluetooth/dp/B00SZDJEZQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1509362057&sr=8-7&keywords=7%22+tablet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-New-Tablet-Display-Canary-Yellow/dp/B01J90O4IK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1509362057&sr=8-10&keywords=7%22+tablet

I personally wouldn’t want to go smaller than a 7" tablet (old age, poor eyes!)

Regarding phones, it will depend on whether you already have a SIM, or are looking for a contract, but here’s an option:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Smartphone-MTK6580-Quadband-Bluetooth/dp/B01LPW90OI/ref=sr_1_cc_3_mimg_1_wireless_display_on_website?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1509362198&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=5%22+smartphone

But, sooner or later you’re going to have get off the fence and actually find out for yourself…

Thank you very much for your help and your advices!

You provided me with valuable information!
How about using the Nook GlowLight Plus (E Ink) e-reader with Volumio?
The Nook GlowLight Plus e-reader was released on the Nook GlowLight Plus (E Ink) October 21, 2015 and it features a 6-inch 300ppi Carta E Ink screen with frontlight and touchscreen, Wi-Fi, an aluminum rear shell, six weeks of battery (1,500 mAh) life with wireless off, weights 6.9 ounces, and meets IP67, meaning it is waterproof for up to 30 minutes at a maximum depth of 1 meter and is dustproof.The Nook software is run on Android 4.4 KitKat and it has 2.8GB of user-accessible storage. The GlowLight Plus uses a Freescale i.MX6 1 GHz CPU and has 512MB RAM

You provided a lot of nice specs, but nothing about the web-browser. With Android 4.4 you have better changes that it might work. But there are no guarantees so you have to test it yourself.

Also remember that Volumio is constant updated and utilizing modern day browser features. Although it might work today on the device you are suggesting, it might not tomorrow. Unless the device gets regular updates for its OS and browser (which I doubt).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Forum member balbuze experimented with Dolphin web browser theme-language-selector-installation-t2802-20.html

Hi Yatsushiro!
How about using

1. Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7 (7.3" x 5.0" x 0.35" (186 mm x 128 mm x 9.0 mm)
  2. Nexus 7 ASUS (7 - Inch)
  3. Galaxy S4 /S5 with display 5.1 inches (Samsung smartphone, small but nice :smiley: )?

What would you say about Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7, Nexus 7 ASUS , Galaxy S4 /S5 to use with Volumio?

What’s on your mind the best from about above-mentioned?

I use a Kindle Fire 7’’, and it just works :wink: Not the best tablet ever, but it does the job

What would you say about using Samsung Galaxy S4 as remote control for SPARKY SBC+KALI+AK4495DAC samsung.com/uk/smartphones/g … 505ZWABTU/
Is it possible?

Hi Barrymore,
I believe you could be a great contributer to this issue by trying out one of your own suggestions, like the Galaxy.
Please let us all know how it worked out.
Community forums only survive when people not just consume but also add their own experience one in a while.
In my house, using a (chrome) browser to control Volumio, an HTC M8, a Galaxy Note 10.1 (from 2014), an iPhone 5 and 6, an iPad, 2 notebooks (linux), 2 PC’s (Windows 10) and a big Linux box all work. So the platforms we would gladly “support” are all covered.
Eagerly waiting to hear how your Samsung Andorid version turns out, hope you are trying one.

Otherwise, the working examples given are not just mine, they work for others too (probably with a much wider range of Android devices).
So pick one of them and you’ll be fine.
My opinion: forget about ebook readers and e-ink to control volumio. If you want to stick to those, we can cannot help you.