Does Volumio 3 support gapless CD playback?

Volumio 2 did not support gapless CD playback. How about Volumio 3?

Gapless playback is important for classical music CDs. In music with long movements (such as Mahler symphonies), the record label sometimes splits a long movement into multiple tracks. On a standard CD player, it will play continuously without interruption, but when a software player doesn’t support gapless, there may be a brief pause between tracks.

1 Like

We can check and enable it, should be fairly trivial.
Thanks for the suggestion

7 Likes

Hi! sorry to bother you, but it still very loud between tracks, can you check the implementation of the gapless.

thank you in advance!
Thiago

1 Like

What do you mean with “loud between the tracks”?

2 Likes

my apple superdrive also runs at full speed, brakes, and runs again at full speed, always alternating so that listening to music is not possible.

By “loud between the tracks”, he means mechanical noise from the drive spinning up to high speed and clicking while seeking the track. It will read the track at high speed, then spin down until time for the next track, and repeat the cycle for each track.

It is related to the problem of the CD drive spinning at high speed, which has not been fixed:
https://community.volumio.org/t/volumio-running-cd-drive-at-noisy-high-speed/54246/
The drive needs to read data at a low speed (no more than about 4x) for gapless to work. Otherwise the drive will spin down if it waits too long for the next data request.

@volumio, I’d like to ask what CD drives have been tested, and can you suggest a model that will stay spinning at a low speed.

Hi,

I would like to point out, that this is IMHO nothing depending on the CD/DVD-Drive. My Lite-On ES1 is dead silent, when doing playback over windows media player. Even when skipping. And it is well reported that there is linux software, which can do alike.

I don’t know, if it is easy to implement silent and gapless playback into volumio, but since this is a premium feature I would expect that this issue should be solved soon.

Once again thanks in advance to the developers,

Cheers

Arnd

Today I received my Apple superdrive and its runs in very low speed after the first track, only runs a little fast in the beginning of each track and then very quiet. Before the Superdrive i was using an ASUS drive which was extremely loud!!
@volumio
But the gapless still don’t work because every single track the system seems to reloud the track and stays a few seconds in mute.

I bought a USB A cable with 2 male plugs that split power and data, I will test if the drive runs fast because of the power, so supplied constant power from the power source will drive the cd rom smoothly.

I have also installed the apple superdrive, with Y-cable for additional power supply…the speed goes to full speed with every track…what else I noticed, a reboot does not work when the apple superdrive is connected, and 2 power supplies are connected on the raspi, it only works with cold boot

1 Like

same here.
the cut between tracks still goes on.
so sad, I am really enjoying listen to my CDs

hi @volumio!
anythig about the gapless on cd playback??

thank you in advance!
Thiago

yes I want also gapless playback. Playing cd’s sounds very good at the system accept that every track is loading so you get gaps.

Yes please - this is a deal breaker - specially because we are paying for CD playback, given that you need Volumio Premium for CD playback. This is a serious defect @volumio