Does Amazon Alexa Integration Work for Anyone? Not for me

Hi there folks,
I just upgraded from the free tier to the paid in order to get the Alexa integration. However, I keep getting the response back from Alexa “Sorry, Volumio isn’t Responding”. Has anyone got Alexa integration to work? I’m also curious what phrases seem to work for you. For example, does it only support play, pause, volume, or can you say something like “Play The beetles on Volumio” if you have a music service connected in the alexa app (you can do this with Sonos since it shows up as a speaker in the app).

Note that my volumio instance is called “volumio” and it’s active in the amazon alexa app and I’m logged into my paid account in the volumio RPI 4 site. “Volumio” is showing up as an active speaker in the alexa app, but it just seems like the amazon servers can’t reach the Volumio servers (or something like that) when I say anything to alexa (i.e., “alexa, play volumio”, or “alexa, pause volumio”). It always just responds: “Sorry, Volumio isn’t Responding”. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help folks!

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: v2.917
Hardware: RPI 4 B
DAC: RME ADI2

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Unfortunately this is due to AWS blocking the functions used by the Alexa skills due to an administrative problem. We are trying to solve them as soon as possible.

Thanks for looking into this and for the quick reply!

Hi, what about the German Alexa skill?

1 Like

We can also take a look at that :wink:

Will keep you guys posted

1 Like

That would be great, I would really appreciate to use volumio with alex <3

Just wondering if there is an update for this? Same situation as OP. Upgraded to paid tier for Alexa skill.
I can connect account, and voluminous is discovered as a smart speaker, but get a “audio and radio playback is not supported on this device” response when I try to use it.

1 Like

I never ended up getting it to work unfortunately. I guess it’s still broken. Given it was the one reason I upgraded to paid from the open source version, I ended up going back to the free version during the 2 week trial period. Bummer.

1 Like

It’s been about 6 weeks since you explained that the Alexa/Volumio problem is an AWS issue. Any timeline for fixing this. I upgraded to the paid subscription for this option.

1 Like

I think you’ve got the 6 weeks wrong :wink:
But added it to the open issue list

2 Likes

Ahh, well this answers my other thread :frowning:

C

2 Likes

Hi, it’s been way more than 6 weeks and it seems the issue is still standing. I’ve just setup Alexa with the Volumio skill and everything worked fine until I tried actually using it. I mean link is OK, the device shows up in Alexa as “streamer” - which is the name I gave to my Volumio Pi 3 - but whatever command I give, e.g. “Computer, pause on streamer” I get a kind of network error message. Any news on solving the problem on servers connection to aws?

Hi @volumio any news about the german alexa version?!
It’s been a feew days since October `21…

Cheers

hi guys.
I have the same problem. I have alexa and volumio and i would like them to work together. would be great.
have any news?

best regards.

1 Like

You kept us updated?!
Please give us an update for the German Alexa support… It’s really annoying that this topic is avoided by the Volumio staff…
Thanks

Come on, get this sorted.
It’s almost a year since this was a problem.

hi guys, i would give you support if i could. unfortunately I am unable to do so.
why does no one take care of this problem?

Hi Guys,

Davide from tech support,

Alexa support has been discontinued due to some efficiency and service mainteinance reasons.
We are aware of expectations that, most of you, have.
Unfortunately we cannot keep up the service, offering a complete and performing compatibility, especially in some countries than others.

Sorry for that

We hope you will enjoy Volumio on all the other growing and newcoming features!

Thanks

Best
Davide
VOLUMIO TECH SUPPORT

That is a shame, but working with the corporations I know the issues that can arise when breaking changes are decided by the behemoth.

If any of you are into home automation, I can suggest some approaches that will, at least, allow Alexa to perform basic commands like play / pause volume up and down.

C

After 3 Years finaly an official statement. Thanks for that.
I really regret spending Money on the lifetime license.

1 Like