Do I need DAC

Hey, I want to have Volumio on a Raspberry Pi (Model B+) and play it on my sound system, but I am unsure if I need a DAC.

I am fairly new to the audiophile world and have little knowledge of sound systems and how they work.
Currently, I have a 3.5mm audio jack to red and white RCA, and usually whenever I play music I connect that jack to whatever source I am using. That is then plugged into a Yamaha EMX 88s powered mixer, the mixer is set with a main bridge of L+R. (I hope that is the correct setting to have it on)
Then I have 2 PR15 loudspeakers by Peavey. One is hooked into L and the other into R.
With this set up do I need to also have a DAC, I say they are a bit expensive and wouldn’t want to buy the wrong one.
Thanks in advance.

hi!
Well, I don’t know your stuff, but what I can say is that the jack output of the Raspberry is known to provide a low quality signal… So if you want to speak about Hifi system, yes you need a correct DAC. First price with a i2s dac is less than 20€uro and quality will be far away from Raspberry output. I suggest you to have look at this thread : list-i2s-dacs-for-raspberry-t1103.html
For some of them you’ll need to use iron…

I totally agree :wink:

Be careful, DAC list below are mostly for Raspi B (not compatible with B+)
list-i2s-dacs-for-raspberry-t1103.html

Some DAC compatible for B+ exists, I ordered a Hifiberry Dac+ (36€ with shipping)