Display Albums, by ALBUMARTIST & not by ARTIST

Refer to this tracklist from an album by name, “Athu Oru Kanakkaalam”, composed by, “Ilayaraja”:
Track Number. Title - Artist - Composer/AlbumArtist/Album Artist

1. Andha Naal Nyabagam - Vijay Yesudas, Shreya Ghoshal - Ilayaraja
  2. Kaattu Vazhi - Ilayaraja - Ilayaraja
  3. Unnala Thookkam - Ranjith, Malathi - Ilayaraja
  4. Kili Thattu - Bhavatharini, Jothi - Ilayaraja
  5. Ennada Nenacha - Ranjith, Vijay Yesudas - Ilayaraja

Refer to this tracklist from an album by name, “Lagaan”, composed by, “A.R. Rahman”:
Track Number. Title - Artist - Composer/AlbumArtist/Album Artist

1. Ghanan Ghanan - Lagaan - Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik, Sukhwinder Singh, Shankar Mahadevan, Shaan, Kishori Gowarikar & Chorus - A.R. Rahman
  2. Mitwa - Lagaan - Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan, Sukhwinder Singh & Srinivas - A.R. Rahman
  3. Radha Kaise Na Jale - Lagaan - Asha Bhosle, Udit Narayan, Vaishali & Chorus - A.R. Rahman
  4. O Rey Chhori - Lagaan - Alka Yagnik, Udit Narayan, Vasundhara Das - A.R. Rahman
  5. Chale Chalo - Lagaan - A.R. Rahman, Srinivas & Chorus - A.R. Rahman
  6. Waltz for a Romance - Lagaan - Instrumental - A.R. Rahman
  7. O Paalanhaare - Lagaan - Lata Mangeshkar, Udit Narayan & Chorus - A.R. Rahman
  8. Lagaan…Once upon a Time in India - Lagaan - Anuradha Sriram & Chorus - A.R. Rahman

I would like the Albums to be listed as:
  • Athu Oru Kanakkaalam
    Ilayaraja
  • Lagaan
    A.R. Rahman

And not like this:
Volumio_Screenshot_002.png
That’s a lot of entries for a single album.

Almost always, Indian content is mostly songs for films. And there are a lot of singers & lots of tracks. So sorting by Artist will never work for us.
Every film has only one composer, so we tag songs with “COMPOSER”, “ALBUM ARTIST” & “ALBUMARTIST”. All these fields represent only the COMPOSER.

And I’m not sure how and from where, the second track has the “Composer’s Picture”. Reason maybe, since for this particular track, he’s the composer as well as singer… His name is there in artist tag and Volumio pulled a picture of it from the internet…

Instead, a better option would be… the list can use pictures tagged within the tracks as “Front Cover”, “Media”, “Back Cover”, “Artist” & “Icon” or if there are no pictures tagged into tracks, then Volumio can search for pictures from the same directory as the tracks and use them…

Also, if the track is tagged with more than one picture, or if the directory has more than one picture, clicking on the picture in Volumio’s UI should bring the next pictures. Or, Volumio can also auto cycle pictures every 1 minute or 30 seconds…

This is also something that could be handle by MusicBrainz with the AlbumID, check this suggestion -> using-musicbrainz-tags-t5592.html
But I agree, having the option to use either ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST would shouldn’t be too difficult.

+1 for this. I have 54 “various artist” compilation albums in my library but the Album library list shows them as 1,388 “albums”, i.e. one “album” per track!

Would it be possible to get this old PHP logic converted into the new v2 engine?:

$artist = $songData[“AlbumArtist”] ? $songData[“AlbumArtist”] : ($songData[“Artist”] ? $songData[“Artist”] : “Unknown”);

replace /volumio/app/plugins/music_service/mpd/index.js with following code and the album list should group into albumartists instead of artists.
make a backup of the existing file before overwriting!

pastebin.com/NtrBYTN7

reboot volumio

I haven’t tried this to see its effects, but if you think that it is an enhancement to Volumio, write it up on the Github site https://github.com/volumio/Volumio2 and add a pull request.

to be a good enhancement it should check if the album artist is set and if not fallback to artist. sadly my skills are not that good. this right now just replaces artist with album artist which might break display for some users.

but your skills are much better than mine! Thanks for the idea but I just checked my library and only half of my songs have an AlbumArtist. So, if I used your code, does that mean I would only see the songs which have an AlbumArtist?

first: this is not my code, just saw there was a fix of this issue by fanciulli on github [1] where I changed two parameters for the album list.

I just tested it: If there is no Album Artist set it will use Artist instead already! So you will have those albums multiple times in the albumlist with the different trackartists. If you click on it, you see the full album, not just the tracks with the one trackartist.

[1] github.com/volumio/Volumio2/com … ff=unified