Dedicated Volumio Database and Play Queue?

Very insightful Jotak :slight_smile: thanks!

Thank you Jotak, I think that keep it light IS the way. So I totally agree to sticking with SQLite.

Very sensible joel. Letā€™s stick with that. It will also allow us to reuse your code, with some slightly changes.

Hey everyone, Iā€™ll use this to introduce myself. I was just added to the GitHub repo and this forum.
I have some experience with js and node, plus some other things. Iā€™m also jomo on GitHub.
Iā€™m currently running Volumio Beta 1.4 on a Raspberry Pi B+.

Anyway, if I understand the current architecture plan correctly, all audio is sent to SOX and then goes out via ALSA.
Would it be possible to support different output devices/services? Iā€™m thinking of sending audio to speakers via AirPlay as requested here. This would allow to later add more options such as similar streaming protocols, or an HTTP stream.

PS: michelangelo mentioned a meeting that would start soon - where and what kind of meeting is this? Couldnā€™t find anything on the forums.

Dear Jomo! Yes, definetely a multi output setting would be ideal. I was thinking on something like this as well. What we need to do is just create multiple outputs with mpd, or create some sort of abstraction layers.
Weā€™ll have a meeting on skype at 9pm, GMT +2 , Iā€™ll send you my skype id via pm!

I donā€™t use Skype. I actually deleted it a long time ago because I really hated it, sorry guys.
You donā€™t happen to use IRC as well?

There is airplay and airplay2 for node, not sure what the difference is but they both sound promising to me.

One solution to multiple output might be to use PulseAudio as an interface layer to ALSA. It is possible to configure it for bit perfect audio playback (no resampling).

I think I have PulseAudio on the architecture diagram, but it is in the wrong place since I did not know what it was at the time! :frowning:

Edit: Looks like itā€™s non trivial to configure PulseAudio to not resample! :confused:

I personally hate Pulse: soundwise is just a disaster, and its configuration is a pain in the assā€¦But we can see what we can achieve with alsaā€¦ We could use for non critical quality things, a loopback device or a FIFO

Sorry but weā€™re about to begin and everyone is on skypeā€¦ You can use the skype web client without need to install anything
blogs.skype.com/2014/11/14/pleas ā€¦ -web-beta/