Debian ̶B̶u̶l̶l̶s̶e̶y̶e̶ Bookworm is around the corner!

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2021/07/msg00003.html
Tentative Bullseye release date isn’t to far off – 2021-08-14.

Does it still make sense to have Buster (2019) based release?
Or make a Jessie (2015) → Bullseye (2021) jump? :smiley:

PS: I am biased, everyone around here knows my views on legacy software :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Lol, it depends how far this Buster version is from release, I guess. :wink: There would be some very disgruntled Community members if there was a further long wait. :slight_smile:

My 0.2c –

Currently Volumio is stuck in an integration hell, with bugs coming form all corners. This makes changing things a big fingers crossed moment, but it doesn’t have to be like that!

If we had a clear way to demarcate bug types, then these development/releases will be easier
– kernel
– OS
– core
– UI
– plugins

Most core/UI/plugin bugs that are independent of the kernel/OS, but right now it’s a bit hard to get a grasp of if a {qobuz,tidal,tidalconnect,spotify} issue is from the plugin, the core, or an OS bug.

1 Like

But then, just release Volumio Buster with some flaws and call it Volumio Vista. Microsoft got away with it.
And then start develpment on Bullseye and call it Volumio 7
:slight_smile:

But I do believe that for testing a new version (bullseye), every none default plugin should be banned and unsupported (also forum wise), until there is a stable core version. And yes I am guilty for the same with Buster.

2 Likes

FWIW – I’ve been running my stuff on bullseye/sid since Jan :slight_smile:

So from the kernel/OS side of things, it should be fairly straight forward to shift to bullseye.
But my use is rather bare bones (Spotify Connect, GPIO, Webradio)

Ask for people to reproduce the bug on Jessie,Buster and Bullseye – then we help debugging :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been a tad bit inactive lately, (family life, you know), but I’m more than happy to debug my plugins (one at a time obivously!). I think most plugin authors don’t really mind, the challenge is with getting the core to work and ash mentioned, demarcate the source of the problem :wink:

1 Like

Just my opinion
What if volumio just focus on bullseye Form the beginning rather focusing on buster then on buster eol switch to bullseye, focus from now to bullsey will save later a lot of effort I guess because now is in switching platforms frame

@ashthespy did you figger out the plugin’s of @patrickkfkan already?
and we have to ask @2aCD too for skins…

1 Like

@volumio

Plan of Approch:

• Release Buster as Volumio Vista
  • Start development on Bulleye, which includes all paid services (Tidal, Qobuz)
  • Throw in a poll, to select the top 4 plugins as part of the Beta
  • Don’t provide any support on other plugins, including forum, until beta has been proven stable.
1 Like

First we should focus on the parts of Volumio that need fixing, then all the modifications/tweaking can start :wink:

A lot of them are old issues that have probably been fixed and no longer relevant, but we won’t know for sure until the devs clean it up… :slight_smile:

Bullseye is out!

Yep, it’s official, they managed to keep their projected release date :slight_smile: Debian -- News -- Debian 11 "bullseye" released
But Raspbian Bullseye isn’t officially out yet – Debian Bullseye Officially released yesterday 8-14-2021 - Raspberry Pi Forums

But their repos are up, and have all the packages Volumio needs…

volumio@den:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release:        11
Codename:       bullseye

Hopefully the volumio devs will jump to bullseye directly even if they need a bit more time to release Volumio 3

I think it’s a dead end to ask the devs if they jumped to bullseye

Considering the folks over at Raspberry Pi haven’t released bullseye, can’t blame Volumio devs… :wink:

That being said, all my personal boards at home all are on Bullseye from early this year…

So the jump to Bullseye should be straightforward…

Oh well!

Changelog

PS: Volumio Debian Bullseye Alpha - Raspi images :wink:

3 Likes

Gosh, how time files :smiley:
Forget bullseye, it’s soon time for Debian Bookworm

But fret not – Pi on 64bit 6.1.y LTS kernel with Bookworm! :wink:

2 Likes

@ashthespy I am glad that you are here :slight_smile:

Bookworm (on Pi) is official – time for VolumioOS to jump from Buster → Bullseye → Bookworm :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any plans for bookworm? Buster is now so outdated and receives no security updates anymore. And when i need to reflash because now the boot partition needs to be bigger i like to reflash bookworm and not the very old buster.