customizing volumio, Why non standard apt sources.list ?

Hi Guys

I’ve been playing with volumio for few days now. I like it very much, especially the version 1.51, which has a nit look
I’ve developped my own raspbery pi extention board with DAC, stereo Amp, screen and buttons, and so far I’ve been using a platform, rather simple, that I’ve developped myself

I tested Volumio 1.51 last week, and started to move my system from raspbian to volumio
The main trouble I had until now is that french radio France Inter does not work (mp3.live.tv-radio.com/franceinte … tdebit.mp3)
I saw that it was mpd decoder that couldn’t take it (from /var/log/mpd/mpd.log, I tried mad, ffmpeg and mpeg123, but none worked)
Finally I’ve decided to compile latest mpd source, hoping that solve the problem… and it did !

Which brings me to this question :
why are apt source (/etc/apt/sources.list) different by default ?
Indeed, I had troubles installing pre-required to compile MPD. I could only do it after replacing custome sources.list with default raspbian sources.list
Even though I had troubles such as :

[code]pi@volumio:~/dev/mpd$ sudo apt-get install libsmbclient-dev
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libsmbclient-dev : Depends: libsmbclient (= 2:3.6.6-6+deb7u4) but 2:4.1.11+dfsg-2 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
pi@volumio:~/dev/mpd$ [/code]

Same issue poped up with libboost1.49-all-dev and few other
What is the story behind modified and non standard bin for Volumio ?
Should I deploy Volumio from standard Raspbian to avoid that ?

Thanks

well, I found a way to work this around
After setting back sources.list to default from raspbian, I just uninstall then re-install whatever package that cause dependencies version troubles
And mpd could compile graciously ! And I can listen to french radio (using mpd version 0.20)

Also, I would like to know of there’s any doc on volumio describing the parts of the system and their interaction ?
I was hanging around the git, see the different directories, but nothing like a high level picture with interfaces. The user guide is also empty
I’d like to participate to volumio with the newly compiled mpd I have, and also with doing some high level doc. Can someone point me to a starting point for the doc

By the way, I’m software engineer with 6 years experience in C/C++, but done also some python, php, css as hobby

Cheers

Just in case someone face same troubles as I did
I finally moved to RuneAundio
It was the occasion to get into ArchLinux (which I always wanted to do)

First impression are good. Looks more clear and standard than Volumio
Also settings handlings looks more complete
I managed to get my system working easily

MICHELANGELO is working to make apt-get etc work in the next release. Then you can just use apt the way you want with minimal chance to break something by apt-get upgrade etc. I think your problem might be solved after that.

Hi,

bastienauneau wrote:

Maybe you could do a showcase at the “Diy Volumio Projects” section and share same pictures and code from your project!!

THX

Harry