cubox-i4-pro crashes while scanning library

I should note that I have the last release of Volumio 1 running on this device and DAC setup, for a long while - works flawlessly.

Hi, I’m having the same issue of Volumio crashing during a library scan.
Cubox I4
Synology NAS with standard (non HD) .flac files.

crashes via WiFi and ethernet scan. Somewhere around the 1600 songs mark.

Thanks for looking into this, happy to try and help

Tried another brand new 4GB card. Same result, crash on scan. After trying a bunch of different cards, I’m very much doubting this is an issue with a bad SD card or a bad flash.

I’m also not sure that the scanning is what’s at issue here - I think there’s something unstable in the kernel that is easily triggered by the load on the system during scanning. At some point all of my test runs have crashed at some other point as well, when doing other things. If I leave the system more or less alone for a while, it can stay up without crashing. But even doing something like playing back web radio, the system will crash eventually.

I’m about to give up on the Cubox-i4 platform and Volumio 2 - so I’m thinking about switching to a Raspberry Pi 3B for my main listening rig. I don’t want to have to spend the $ if I don’t have to, though! Since Volumio 1 runs fine on this system, maybe I’ll move it to another room…

michelangelo, gkkpch - do you think there’s any hope for getting Volumio 2 running on Cubox-i4? Or do you recommend avoiding this platform at this point?

Hi, I have not been able to check the details yet, busy with other tasks plus holidays here.
Please hold on for a day or two, I hope it is a build problem as on all other platforms the crashing during library scan seems to have disappeared. I should be able to reproduce it here with a cubox-i2ex.

Bumping the thread.

Gkkpch, any news?

I’m afraid not, it remains a mistery why cubox won’t work. The problem I originally had and was reproducable on all devices has disappeared on cubox-i2ex as well and I have nothing left to reproduce/ test anything. Could you produce another log? Go to the dev page (/dev), give the descriptiuon a prefix with your nick and upload.

gkkpch - thanks for getting back! I’m happy to try a new flash of whatever the latest build is, and send the dev logs.

Which build should I use? The last crash seems to have killed the latest flash on a brand new card (it won’t boot), so I will need to re-flash. If I look at your site https://oph.mdrjr.net/gkkpch/ I am not seeing any Cubox builds there. The main download page still has 2.129 from back in March… the last build I have locally available is “volumio-2.173-2017-05-15-cuboxi.img”. Should I use that local build, or is there something newer I should try?

Can you describe what you would like to see me try before sending the log? If you want me to do that after reproducing the library scan crash, are those logs saved after a reboot post-crash? Typically the system becomes unresponsive after the library scan crash, so if the logs aren’t written to storage that persists after a reboot, I’m not sure those logs would have what you need.

If you can let me know exactly what sequence of actions you want me to try after the booting a fresh flash, and I’ll give it a try and let you know.

ping on this thread, @gkkpch - is there any update on which build I should use to produce more logs? any thoughts on the other questions?

Bump again on this thread - there’s still no updated Cubox build available, and not sure exactly what activity I should be logging.

If I should give up on getting Cubox and Volumio running, let me know!

Hi,
nothing has been done sofar, we have not been able to locate any problems other than the ones with mpd which have been resolved a few months ago.
Just to be sure I will now build a current version and publish a link here…
– Gé –

Edit: http://updates.volumio.org/cuboxi/volumio/2.239/volumio-2.239-2017-07-25-cuboxi.img.zip

I googled and found that this was sometimes the problem. I have bought a new transcend sd burnt the latest openelec onto it however absolutely nothing. Just a message on the TV “no connection”

[size=15]Clean Master[/size][size=15]Facebook Lite[/size][size=15]Hill Mathway[/size]

well, we don’t do openelec here :mrgreen:
Perhaps check the openelec forum? :wink:

Old thread, but can confirm that latest Cubox release here has resolved the Cubox library scanning crash observed way back in the initial Volumio 2 releases.