Constant Drop-outs & Skips Volumio/Tidal Connect - Raspberry Pi

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: 2.907
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 B+
DAC: HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro

A week ago I put together a dedicated streamer with a Raspberry Pi 3, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro hat, Volumio Virtuoso, & Tidal Premium; the primary source being Tidal Connect through the Pi running Volumio. Setup was easy and I was surprised to find Tidal Connect work flawlessly through the system. Up until 2 days ago, in which every other song began to skip randomly 3-5 seconds forward and/or simply drop-out entirely. I have tried running Tidal Connect with my Windows PC app, as well as with my Pixel Android app; same issue for both (the PC is ethernet connected, the phone via WiFi)…similarly, I have tried the Pi with both WiFi OR ethernet connected; neither makes a difference.

I have tried:

• Restarting the Pi countless times
  • Restarting Tidal and/or Volumio Countless times
  • Changing playback settings in Volumio to increase buffering size (from 8mb to 12mb), and/or increase buffering percentage from 10% all the way to 30%.
  • I’ve changed from DSD to DSD over PCM.
  • I’ve tried using all ethernet vs using wifi
  • Using PC to run Tidal vs phone to run Tidal
  • Turning resampling on or off in Volumio
  • Checked PSU for Pi to make sure red light is stable with no power loss.

Interestingly, once I start a song in Tidal Connect–you can see the song start in Volumio too. When the song drops in Tidal, the Volumio playback in Volumio app on computer continues to show song “playing”…but Tidal has shown it to stop and no sound is coming through the Pi into my receiver.

Hi, I am having the same issue, songs stop playing in a random way, it is not possible to listen to a complete album. It is very annoying, especially if you are paying for the Virtuoso subscription in order to have Tidal Connect.

Just started having the exact same issue. Was it ever resolved for you?

Did you resolve this issue?

I have this issue too - been going on now since the last update. It happens with both the desktop app and the android app. For reference, tidal plays fine when i go through Volumio, and Spotify also works fine. Would appreciate volumio looking into this and figuring out if its a volumio issue or an issue with tidal…

1 Like

Yes, same for me. It appears to be an issue with Volumio communicating to Tidal Connect.

I have same issue. Using Pecan Pi, Volumio 3, Tidal Connect, Ethernet connection.

Anyone have a solution?

1 Like

Why make multiple posts for the same issue?
Instead help us by posting a link to a log.

I kept searching for answers and saw two places where others were having similar issues. I posted in both places to see where I may get results. Why ask with that tone, just hook me up with a link on how to get a log. I wasn’t expecting to have to “learn to code” :wink:

Here you go! Here, Let Me Google That For You! Teach People How to Google
Jokes apart, you can imagine yourself with the same tone if you had to repeat the same thing over and over each day…

Google said: Volumio, comes with Glitches, try Roon

We are investigating the cause of this issue. To help us out please send logs, so we can understand what happens in your case

There is progress on this. We might have found the root cause, we will update you soon with a fix hopefully

2 Likes

Any progress on this?

Yes an update has been released. Update to latest version

Well, then it’s not working. It still skips and loses the connection to the volumio primo hifi. And, most peculiar, sometimes when I close the tidal app, volumio contiues playing. I already send the log and hope it helps you.

I am also having intermittent issues where with Tidal connect the song will occasionally skip forward about 10 seconds abruptly. I’m on the latest build, but will say this never occurred in the 2.x release I was previously running. Though that release had tons of issues where playback would just stop mid song, and I’d have to reboot the pi to get it working again. I’m on an Allo DigiOne for reference, which I purely use as a streamer as I have a dedicated DAC.