Connection Problems to Web Interface

Volumio 2 is turning into a nightmare. Deleted all of the background jpg files via SSH, restarted. After several tries got the webui to start. Tried to play a song. It showed it was playing, but no sound. Tried a different song, it kept trying to play the first one, but no sound. System is an rpi 2, USB DAC, 3TB external hard drive, wired internet connection. 1.55 worked fine except for the Spotify interface, which doesn’t work.

I deleted the background files but volumio2 still freezes on my RPI1.
‘journalctl’ doesn’t show much, everything seems fine… but is just freezes.

I can’t believe that nobody amongst the developpers had the idea to test the release on RPI1 & RPI2… :frowning:
Hey, what about testing that before releasing a new version? or just consider the RPI3, but say it!

And why in the world don’t you put a warning on your website front page, stating that your download doesn’t work for older RPI configurations?
I guess it would prevent other people to waste some time and energy, no?

Bad experiences like this one make me find alternatives solutions, and I don’t think I won’t try again volumio.

Hi mates,

Can you chronologically tell us what you did exactly please? Because I have had the same problems, though with me the workaround worked flawlessly. Performance overall isn’t too good on a rPi1 (B and B+), which is to be expected for such a limited CPU, but it works fine imho.

Which works for me:

1. Write the image to the SD card (build 976; latest)
  2. Boot up the Pi, hooked up to a screen (HDMI)
  3. Login to the Pi as soon as the login text shows
  4. execute ‘systemctl stop volumio’
  5. delete the background images
  6. execute ‘systemctl start volumio’
  7. Use volumio after it has started completely (takes a few seconds)

I have tried everything that you did, in the order that you did them. First of all, I shouldn’t have had to on an Rpi 2. It has a gig of RAM. I did get an earlier version to start, but it wouldn’t play songs, go to Spotify, or webradio. Upgraded to .976 and everything stopped working. I guess I will continue with 1.55; it always works.

I have had no problems whatsoever with the Pi2, do you have another SD card you could work with maybe?
Don’t know if it matters, but I write the images using Win32 Disk Images v0.7, seems to work every time for every image (retropie/osmc/volumio/motioneye/etc.).

Ahem, This is pre-release software. Bugs and problems are to be expected.

Volumio will work with all versions of the Pi, up until the last release it was working fine. It will be fixed, just give the developers a chance!

@nio , your first post on this community just to whine? You’re basically right, but the way you say it doesn’t help much, besides pissing me off…

Anyway, I apologize for the issues you guys had with older PIs. Volumio will always run also on the earlier versions (but at least 512MB of RAM is needed). We’ll work hard to improve performances on those (as now they’re not exactly spectacular…).

The issue you were experiencing was an over usage of RAM just for the first boot (installing some packages, resizing images and creating folder structure). It was solved by enabling swap on devices with less than 540 MB of RAM, at the price of a slightly more wear of SD Card.

Here you have a new image, let us know if it fixes your problem:
updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/0 … pi.img.zip

Current status:
Webui is now available and functional
When a song is selected, a window pops up saying it is starting to play, but nothing plays.
I use a USB DAC. When I select DAC, there is no output. That is the setting I used on 1.55 (Of Course, if nothing is playing, how do I know there is no output?
I tried to setup Spotify where I have a premium account. The plugin management screen shows it inactive. How do I activate it?

Finally, got music to play from Spotify!!! Right now, Volumio 2 is not listing my entire music collection on the external USB hard drive. It looks like it gets halfway through the 42,000 songs and stops. So, if I only want to play Abba through Billy Joel, I’m okay. But, if I want to go beyond that, I can’t. Any ideas, anyone?

I’ve had problems with MPD scanning getting stuck. SSH into Volumio and do this:

mpc update

To check on progress do:

mpd stats

If you don’t get further, look at your music collection and temporarily move the music folder after where your scan stopped out of your library, then do another mpc update.

I had to do a few of these, but eventually got MPD to scan all 21000 tracks of my music library.

@michelangelo Could you update the default download link with the new 0.978? Or perhaps a note about the Rasp v1 / v2 not working with 0976.

Thanks for all your hard work on Volumio, it’s a great product that has transformed my old stereo.

joe

Since it’s been tested and reported working, released as you suggested :wink:

:smiley: Awesome work! Props! Very happy with V2 so far.

Thank you… Still some bugs to solve but we’ll overcome also this…

Some bugs found in 0.978 :

1. The network drive (SAMBA) is disconnected after restarting volumio.

2. When accessing the Web UI from outside the network (through port forwarding 3000 by router), it freezes in the loading screen.

3. The startup volume is not working for Hifiberry Amp+.

Thanks for the great work. :wink:

Same problem.

After installation volumio shows up as Wifi-network, then it dissapears.

Where can I get older versions

So, it should look like :

res.json({ host: 'http://'+'myweb.no-ip.biz:3000'});

Right ?

Not automatically recognized. The volume works.

Thank you very much indeed !

Does anyone have a soloution for this???

My pi was running amazingly well, then I swithed it off and now its fubar.

I can ssh into it, but there is no web interface for the system, therefore rendering it pointless.

I think i have a piB+ with the hifi berry dac.

does anyone know of any troubleshooting ideas to get it running again?

Could you do

sudo journalctl -f

and paste the output here? (look at errors, I think you’ll have them)