Clicks and Pops on HD music

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: v2.873
Hardware:Raspberry Pi 4B
DAC: miniDSP 2x4HD

Volumio exhibits pops and clicks on high bitrate and bit depth material playing through a miniDSP 2x4HD USB DAC. The frequency of the pops and clicks increase with bitrate. This issue does not occur with MiniDSP connected to laptop or NAS. Using Pi 4b because it is not supposed to have issues with USB audio. Have tried newest Volumio 2.917, different USB ports, buffer, WiFi and wired Ethernet. No changes. Any Ideas. Not changing DAC as it is my crossover, equalizer, room correction, vinyl input and more.

Also disabled Hardware mixer, no change

I also have a Behringer MC202HD DAC I use for audio measurements. This DAC does not have pops and clicks on even 192KHz, 24Bit tracks. So it is something with the USB implementation on the miniDSP has issues with the Pi. I have previously used the miniDSP on a NAS running Linux and it did not have this problem. Unfortunately, Sinology stopped supporting HighRes USB audio outputs on their NAS.

Are there firmware updates available for the DAC? If yes, I would try them first

No, no updates for the MiniDSP 2x4HD

1 Like

Solved!! I wast was incorrect, miniDSP hides firmware updates with the plugin updates. My firmware from 2018 (1.7) was updated to 1.14 with the latest 2x4 HD plugin download including the firmware bin and installer software. No pops and clicks. Sounds much better overall as well. More stable image and sound.
https://www.minidsp.com/userdownloads/minidsp-plug-ins/minidsp-2x4hd-plugins/

1 Like