Cannot connect to volumio.local after installation

Hi,

hope this forum can help me. I am a complete noob trying to make this work but unfortunately following the instructions does not yield any result.

I purchased a Raspberry Pi because I wanted to stream music to my hifi system (I am currently using a DAC to connect the amp to my laptop)

System
Laptop: Windows 7
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
Volumio version 2.0

I follow the steps of the installation guide.

1. I format the SD card I will be using
  2. I save the volmio image on the SD card using Win32DiskImager
  3. I connect my raspberry pi to a keyboard and my monitor, insert the SD card and then plug in the charger. At this stage I do NOT the RP to my DAC yet.
  4. The installation starts, an error message is displayed
    "ā€¦ brcmfmac: brcmf_add_if: ERROR: netdev:wlan0 already exists
    this error is repeated with alternating "ignore IF event messages
  5. I press enter and get to the login. I login to volumio using volumio/volumio
  6. I am trying to connect to volumio by entering volumio.local on my laptop. It doesnā€™t work.
  7. based on what I read, I check ifconfig to look for the IP address.
    It displays eth0, lo and wlan0. I try to type in the IP address displayed there in the wlan0 paragraph (first I tried the entry under inet address, then the entry under Bcast). Both of them did not work

I do see volumio in the list of networks on my laptop. I can actually connect to it using the password volumio2. I am not sure what the purpose of that is. But it shows that the volumio is actually ā€œaliveā€

As a next step, I tried to connect the RP to an ethernet cable. Just to see. I have no ethernet cable next to my hifi system, so this is not an option, and part of the reason why I bought the more expensive RP model with inbuilt wifi.

I resetart the RP again and repeat the steps 4-6 again (but instead of the IP address under wifi, I go for the one under eth0). again, canā€™t connect.

Instead of my laptop, I try accessing volumio via my phone (nexus 5s with latest android version 7.1.1). Again, nothing works.

Can someone help? thanks.

Did you see an IP address after ifconfig?

Did you try inputting that IP address into the browser instead of volumio.local?

1 Like

Unless you use a apple device, you have to enter the ip adress to connect your device android). In Linux, you can use volumio.local. In windows, you may need to install bonjour as service or using as well ip adress.

Hi,

yes I did use the IP address I found in ifconfig, on both my laptop (windwos) and phone (android). no response.

I also downloaded bonjour. I was confused because it is about printers. But it said it couldnā€™t find any printers nearby.

At first boot, volumio will create a wifi hotspot. You have to conect to it if you have no ethernet cable, and configure volumio (wifi password). Then the wifi will restart, and this time you should be able to connect to the ip adress you 'll find with tools such as ā€˜fingā€™ on android.
But device are to be on the same network / subnet. Is it your case ?

Thanks for your explanation. How do I connect to the wifi hotspot?

I saw the volumio hotspot in my list of available networks but couldnā€™t access it. which password do I use? I tried ā€œvolumioā€ but it didnā€™t work

3 Likes

use ā€œvolumio2ā€ See volumio.github.io/docs/User_Man ā€¦ Guide.html

Note to developers - this should probably be added to the instructions on the Download page (probably under ā€œConnect To Itā€)

1 Like

To connect to Volumio from a Windows 7 PC browser, try

http://volumio

No need to install bonjour service.
Hope this helps.

Hi,

thank you all for your help, it now works.

just in case someone faces the same issues, here is a summary of what I did after the installation

• waited for volumio to create a hotspot (called ā€œvolumioā€, connected to it with my devices using the password ā€œvolumio2ā€

in volumio, entered ifconfig and looked for the IP address next to i-net address. Part of the problem was that the IP had changed so I kept typing in the wrong IP address.

Hi if you can login to volumio 2 user name is volumio password volumio 2 this so could add files the sd card . Go on you network wifi if you volumio in the list try to connect to it enter volumio then volumio again not 2 this should open up volumio in a web browser.
Give ti a try had my raspi zero w working then tried add a hat to raspberry pi 4 not working for me . So good luck

Dear jimbo, could you please not reply on very old posts thank you.

Hi what you should do burn sd with volumio the put it into raspi
Wait and wait for 20 mins look on you wifi connection volumio will show up dubble click on to it if it opens for you add a password volumio if does not work try volumio2 no spaces
It will open the web page to setup you need make an account change volumio name to what you would like if you get your correct amplifier setup you have to lots of reboot up
The name you gave volumio is web name as well like volumio3.local/ browser.
I have got raspi zero working with mini amplifier my hat is raspiaudio no amplifier on this thatā€™s why used a mini amplifier. Hope this helps. Remember wait it take a bit of time to show up. good Luck.