Build RFID plugin for kids-enabled music player

Hi all,

I want to build a kids-enabled music player, where kids can just tab a RFID card on the player and the according depicted music is played - like the toonies product.

So far I have implemented a working script for mocp on Raspberry Zero inspired by Musikrakete using RFID instead of QR codes.

Now I would like to convert this to a plugin for Volumio as it provides a great core, UI and Spotify is already integrated.

My use cases:

• Touch player with RFID card to initiate playback
  • Play a single track (file, stream, spotify)
  • Play an album (files in folder, playlist, spotify)
  • Play/pause, skip within album via external buttons
  • Bonus: assign track or album to RFID card - within the plugin
  • Bonus: track position in Spotify to be able to resume in audiobooks later

My technical questions:

1. Can this be done in a plugin, especially RFID polling in a continuous loop?
  2. Should this be a user-interface plugin?
  3. What’s the best way to interact with Volumio, internal calls or external API?
  4. Can I create a simple UI to map RFID with target within Volumio? Or should I better have a separate web UI? Can I place that within the existing web server or start my own server from within the plugin?
  5. Is it possible to track position in spotify like every 5 secs and later load the album again and continue the last played track (at the last position).

Thanks
bluepuma

Hi bluepuma,

really great idea! I have exactly the same usecase but unfortunately my programming skills are by far not good enough to get this running under Volumio! :frowning:

So a plugin would be veeery much appreciated! Keep up the good work! User developement seems to have gone back alot since MyVolumio subscriptions started! :frowning:

Cheers Raendy

Gesendet von meinem MI 9 mit Tapatalk

Hi! Nice to see some have a similar project.
I actually got this working by using the following setup on top of my raspberry pi volumio:

• ESP8266 (Wemos D1 mini in my case)
  • MFRC522

My ESP8266 just connect via wifi, store a list of accepted rfid tags, and depending on the tags, trigger an action to the REST API.

Here is the arduino code, which is, at the moment, in a really early stage, but works:
github.com/paulmassen/volumio_rfid/

I also designed a 3d printed box, for this material, will publish it once everything is finished.

I posted the details here: rfid-playlist-launcher-t14351.html