Brand of SD Card used makes a difference in music quality

Hi krunok
oh, you make me proud - yes we indeed could find out an effect with a reclocker. especially in combination with the allo piano 2.1
and the mamboberry ls board.

So, it’s just that i prefer a real soundcheck (blind check of course) than to believe the specifications numbers of online catalogs.
Its true and authentic what we find out in our listenings. Of course it’s subjectiv, objectivity does not exist anyway.
Br

Well, it seems we have radically different opinions. IMO your subjective impressions have value only to you, as they are your personal impressions related to your own personal taste. Objective parameters, like measurements done with precise laboratory equipment or properly conducted blind tests with matched levels, have value to all of us because they are based on science. As we are here discussing technical equipment and not piece of art I think scientific rules should apply and not anyones personal taste, as that technical equipment was developed and produced following that same scientific rules.

krunok, in fact, I would never use the term ‘objectivity’ as you do.
All the listeners in my soundcheck came an don’t care about THD and this stuff.
When the sound reach us inside, casual and we loved it - we are probably interested in that board.
All of the audio equipment dealer here in hamburg i know don’t tell me something about ARS measurements etc.
It’s just - “You have to be happy with it” - give it a try. borrow it for your own home - to check it out - compare.
For me it’s fine and necessary when there is measurement and science,
but soundquality is complex and only apparent from humans.

Regarding your opinion that objectivity doesn’t exist I think it may help to remind you on a definition of objectivity. One that is widely accepted is present in the Cambridge dictionary (dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio … bjectivity):

“The fact of being based on facts and not influenced by personal beliefs or feelings”

In terms of audio science sound quality is objectively described by measurements and properly conducted blind tests - everything else are personal beliefs or feelings.

It is of course your absolute right to choose to believe that reclocker enhances sound quality, but you have no right to present it as a fact as you didn’t offer any objective proves for that belief.

As an example of the objective fact here is jitter measurement of the Allo Boss. As you can see jitter is so low that absolutely no reclocking is needed. The same is the case with most modern DACs.

Hi again and thanks for all the input here to my topic. I know how controvert this is and the differences I (believe) to hear are subtle, indeed.
My system is a RPI 3B+, USB cable to Marantz HDac 1, Amplifier Musical Fidelity A220, Sphis LBX 290 loudspeaker. The speakers are very analytic and revealing details in the music information very well. They were designed as studio monitors to reproduce as exactly as possible the music as recorded.

Now, I admit that what I hear is subjective +++, and the only thing I can do is to get some of my audiophile friends together and to clone different brands of SD cards and to a blind test with them. That will be fun and if they don’t hear the difference, then I will stand corrected…

Bear with me, I will report back.

Technical fact is that SD card cannot possibly affect analog signal of the DAC as DAC chip is not getting data from SD card but from the DACs serial controller which receives data via USB or SPDIF. If DAC wouldn’t do reclocking jitter would be coming from computers serial controller, not from SD card. However, fact is that that jitter is not audible even when DAC is not doing the reclocking as modern serial chips are stable enough not to introduce audible jitter with so low frequencies. Jitter is an issue with digital data transfer at high frequencies, not with low frequencies used in serial communication.

If jitter would be audible you would hear it as a variation in a frequency of a tone. On the link below you can download audio file where jitter has been introduced to a single tone so you can get an idea how it sounds. Many audio enthusiasts talk about jitter although they have never heard it so they have no idea how it actually sound and that is a good thing as jitter is not a problem anymore as it was in the days of vinyl and cassete tapes.

hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action … ttach=8387

Hi everybody,

In my (subjective) listening tests i couldn’t find any difference based on different SD cards. I give up at this point.
Thanks volumiouser9 for starting this interesting discussion.
Thanks Judidudi and krunok for the professional statements.

I will go on this weekend testing if “Brand of beer makes a difference in music quality” and will take care that different brands are properly matched to be within +/- 0.2l. difference. :wink:

However, i really love good music quality but please also take in consideration:
It’s better to listen to good quality music on an average quality sound system, than average quality music on a high end quality sound system and really - i also think one should begin with a maximum sufficient speaker system.

Have a best weekend.
Josef

to bad - you are so far away - i would help you in this interesting test field.

so thanks everybody for this nice little excursion.
happy, that my guests don’t have to check sound of different SD cards. :laughing:
Best j.

Thanks for joining in and all the others who have contributed. Even I might chase a unicorn here, I will do some more testing.

I have seen so many changes in using different server hardware starting with an old netbook, moving to a laptop (there loading FLAC in the RAM and playing from there was different), changing to the RPI 3 B, then 3 B+ and RPI 4 and they all had different sound qualities. Then I came across by testing those RPI, sometimes parallel in A/B tests, and that the SD Card was sounding (to me) different. I am not ready yet to give up :laughing:

It might not be jitter since the explanations above are very convincing.

I have to go now since I think I just saw the unicorn… :laughing:

But will be back with the listening results…

At the risk of being a party pooper how about less worrying and analysing and just enjoy the music of your choice, that’s what I do! I made my setup to hear music in good quality, and that’s what I’m doing whilst setting up my Christmas tree.
Enjoy

Stop being so sensible!

I just installed a new toilet in the house, and discovered the sound from Volumio became much better!

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

is there a different height in these toilets? better silicon kit?

1 Like

No, it has snakeoil on the seat…

Yep, the higher is the shitter - the lower is your jitter!

2 Likes

That’s the reverb from the toilet :wink:

1 Like

Should I reflush my audiophile SD card or not?

yep, never waste a good flush