Brainstorming: What would you want from your ideal music player app?

Ok, here’s a brainstorming for the Volumio Community.

If you were to imagine the best possible music player app there is. How would it be?

What should it allow you to play/do? Where would you mainly use it? (car, running, home)

Let’s be wild guys, let us know what your dream music player app will be like.

Looking forward!

1 Like

Hi,

It should be easy to use in as much as possible the way that i can use it in the car without driving offroad while switching to another webradio station, playlist or other source - as well as my grandmother would be ok to switch music without having to dive into too much sub menus.

Maybe 2 modes: “user” and “advanced” (for those who want to be able to setup the whole system using the app) ?

Best Regards
Josef

4 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: What would you want from your ideal music player operating system?

Thanks Guys, keep them coming :wink:

@Wheaten I was meaning about Music Player apps for mobile :wink: And, rather than going super deep with features, what would you love for your perfect app to do to use it everywhere everytime?

Aha,
Then I can’t comment much on that.
I am using Qobuz or Spotify whenever I am driving, which I can simply control via my watch. On all other “fixed” places I have Volumio up and running.

Since we can say whatever we come up with:

• 1 App that integrates the mayor streaming services, like Qobuz, Tidal and spotify
  • Able to play local stored files
  • BT connectivity (for using earbuds and active speakers)
  • Basic control functions on wearables. (volume, play/pause, prev/next)
  • Low energy footprint
  • and a little bit of DSP

I’d like something that I can use in my car, working together with my car stereo with Android Auto.

something like Volumio, but running on my smartphone, that I can control from the display of my car stereo

2 Likes
  1. A useable playlist system - even if it’s just a txt file with one line per track

2. multiple skins not a single one with a “maybe” we’ll have the previous ones as addons - btw, the new UI is shocking, having a blurred album cover as the background makes it look like it’s trying to attract 12 year olds and already overdone on social media platforms

3. No streaming options as those sites are killing bands due to the pitiful low payouts to the bands

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ll need more than I already have. Listening in the car (mostly Qobuz via Android Auto), and with my earbuds is way less important to me then my set at home.

For my needs a (1) superb sounding (2) stable and (3) fast and easy to use (4) fully featured Volumio OS is more than enough. And I think you doing a great job. If it would be up to me the development time and investment would go into (1) play next button, which keeps the playlist in order (2) lyrics (3) Qobuz Connect, I know you need the support of Qobuz for that (4) skins

If Volumio is gonna go this application road anyway: something that integrates Qobuz + Radio Paradise, with lyrics and artist information would be the only thing I can think of. But I am not even sure if I would use it regularly.

Keep up the good work and have a nice weekend in advance!

Simon

3 Likes
  • All the features of Volumio, but available on the move, including fast, reliable, secure access to my home music (NAS).

• Simple but extensively customisable UI, much like the functionality @patrickkfkan has built into the Now Playing plugin.

• Spotify to work reliably for everyone

• As already mentioned above, USB boot and easy BT connectivity for headphones and speakers

• A simple, affordable, out-of-the box system for people with minimal technical skills, including easy access to a wide range of music inputs and streaming.

• At the same time, keeping the fully modifiable system options and plugins that we know and love.

• Some way to reward the community developers for their work.

In the few years I’ve used Volumio, it has consistently improved and broadened its functionality, so I’m happy with the steep evolution path it’s already on. No need for a revolution perhaps.

4 Likes

Add a “Recently added” option to allow perhaps the last 30 days of newly added music to be searched and selected.

6 Likes

I know this probably requires cooperation from them to happen, but it would be great if Deezer would integrate with Volumio. It’s one of the very few features that separate a Volumio player from bluesound and others. I ended up cancelling my Deezer account because it wouldn’t integrate like other streaming services, and I miss it. There’s just a certain special sauce that their site has when it comes to generating playlists that I miss, as well as other features that that I think make it slightly better than others.

A useable playlist system and the possibility to see and use ratings in the songs!

1 Like

Hi
Highest Sound Quality, flexible on Hardware, open to all Formats and the possibility to Run own pictures outside Artist Info.

All,

This topic is intended for a mobile application, not for Volumio OS.

The none app related comments have been moved.
If you have comments or remarks for Volumio OS, please place then in topic:

Main use: out and about and in car. Also at home or office but less important.

Main priority: sound quality, simple UI on day to day tasks.

Other priorities/features:

1. Hi-res including DSD
  2. Connect to streaming services (Qobuz for me :grin:)
  3. Play local files, NAS and PC library
  4. Internet radios
  5. Combine all libraries from local, network and streaming services
  6. Bit perfect, overiding internal DAC
  7. Show file/stream properties and what is been sending out via BT or USB
  8. Choose output (USB, BT, internal jack, chromecast, airplay, upnp,…)
  9. 2 levels of settings, basic and advanced
  10. Cover art and other metadata, embeded or online fetching
  11. Simple playlist manager
  12. Download to internal memory to offline playing, from own files or streaming services that allow this
  13. Equalizer, DSP, crossfeed (possible to turn off)

I consider 1 to 10 must have, and 11 to 13 nice to have.

Good list. I’d bump up 12 if it’s to be a frustration free system when travelling about.

I want an app that will integrate with volumio at home, either a primo or diy computer, whatever, and work as if I’m taking my volumio from home with me, like an ipod.

Have it exchange the songs from playlists i made, automatically download to the app my favorite albums that I play most often.

Make the portable volumio hassle-free, i mean, make it like the old iposs: select, play, show album covers and playback options.

Customizable playback options would be good to simplify the player and menus.

Bandcamp integration. I almost only use bandcamp. Why can’t it be integrated like spotify connect?

While driving, i don’t want to touch my phone. Build the app around that idea, please.

Allow for cloud integration so we can sync volumio at home and the app.

The application works marvelously well. I was concerned when the last update changed skins. I finally figured how to go back to the skin I was really comfortable with.

The only thing I’d want is an equalizer, but that alone isn’t enough to get me to buy an annual subscription. And I don’t subscribe to any streaming service, buying all my classical recordings as the furies deem necessary.

IOW, very well done. I hope future mods don’t change how I’d have to set up my files. I play folders and files, not playlists. But I have a feeling that’s how most classical users drive the app.

2 Likes

FusionDsp is free and a free subscription is enough to get it and all other plugins!

OMG. All this time, I had no idea there’s a free membership. Thanks.