Boot Time - Very long

Mi Raspberry with Volumio is working really well with no flaws, the only thing I noticed is long boot time.
From the moment I plug power in to the first connection with GUI takes almost 4 to 5 minutes.
Is this normal?

Accessing with SSH is possible about two minutes early.

Anyone experienced this? Is there any way to reduce boot time?

Ciao
Claudio

Hi, are you able to connect a monitor if only for troubleshooting purposes - this will probably give a good indication of what is “hanging” during boot-up.

Are you using wi-fi by any chance? If so then disable the ethernet port as the system will spend quite some time trying to establish a connection before giving up and then moving on to the wi-fi connection…

regards
Ian

I noticed the same thing, basically if you are not using ethernet, it waits a hell of a long time trying to connect on eth0

so, I disabled eth0 interface as I am using wifi 100% of the time after initial setup…

edit the interfaces file

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces 

comment out as follows

#Remove the wired network because it
#slows down boot if it’s not connected.
#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

save, exit, reboot, happy smiles… :slight_smile:

Is there no more elegant way of skipping DHCPDISCOVER depending on link status?

I mean, I want eth0 enabled as backup but DHCPDISCOVER should only happen when ethernet is plugged in.

Can you raise this as an issue on Github? github.com/volumio/Volumio2

It might be something that can be improved upon. Don’t get your hopes up though, as this is not strictly a Volumio issue.

You could try setting a static IP on eth0 which would mean it doesn’t bother with DHCP.

It seems you are talking about volumio 1.55
If yes have a look here : https://volumio.org/forum/speeding-boot-process-when-using-wifi-t2907.html

Hi,

yes I could suggest to review the following solution as a potential standard for the new Volumio2.
As of the question, yes, I am still on 1.55, and sure, this is a raspbian issue, not a volumio issue.

I did what was suggested, and that’s exactly what I need.
Changing the line to “allow-hotplug eth0” will abort the configuration of the ethernet interface when no cable is plugged.
What would you wanna wait for if link is not up…

SPAM YOURSELF!