Boot problem + Play problem = Many problems

My gear:

Raspberry Pi (512MB)
Audio-gd Digital Interface (USB to SPDIF converter)
Sandisk Extreme 64GB USB flash drive for song storage (NTFS)

I am a satisfying user of RaspyFi v1.0. The sound quality is exceptional although there is little random crack sound during playback.

Today, I know that the Volumio was born and tested it right away. It was PAINFUL.

Boot problem:
As in RaspyFi, I always hook up everything before I turn the RPi on. In the first tens of attempts, it simply freezes during booting. I did not keep all error but one of those is:

udevd[267]: failed to execute ‘/lib/udev/write_net_rules’ ‘write_net_rules’:no such file or directory

Since there is such a problem, I remove the USB flash drive and boot. It finally boot successfully. However, it reboot in less than 1 second when I plug the USB flash drive in and again freezes. I have 5 USB flash drives with me and only two of them will not cause instant reboot.

Even with those two compatible USB flash drive, it frequently freezes during booting.

I have rewrote the image and using different SD card, same results.

Poweroff problem:
Click Poweroff will reboot instead of halt

Play problem:
With my gears, I found the following problems:

APE: cannot play, it simply fails to add into the playlist nor play
WAV, MP3 (192K, 320K): continuous static sound
FLAC: 16/44.1 is okay, 24/96 has continuous static sound

Sound quality:
I could only play 16/44.1 FLAC, initial impression is that the soundstage is much narrower than RaspyFi v1.0. It reminds me of another squeezebox software in RPi, where the soundstage was very good in the early version and getting worse as it is further developed.

I hope this helps to improve the Volumio and I have to stick with RaspyFi now.

I have exactly same issues:

APE: cannot play, it simply fails to add into the playlist nor play
WAV, MP3 (192K, 320K): continuous static sound (due to 24 bit coding)
FLAC: 24/96 has continuous static sound

P.S. I have not got any static sound on 24 bit files with Raspyfi. Switched back to it to see if curent Volumio release gets better.

1- udevd[267]: failed to execute ‘/lib/udev/write_net_rules’ ‘write_net_rules’:no such file or directory

This error is harmless. If you mean it takes a little longer to boot up, don’t worry then. Let it go. Please disconnect HDMI and see if Audio out is normal.

2- Rebooting if a USB device is connected is a normal behaviour. That’s why a USB device should be connected BEFORE powering pi up. What you mean with freezing? Does it complete the boot process (even if slow) ?

3- To solve the file that are not indexed just remove

decoder {
plugin “ffmpeg”
enabled “no”
}
from /etc/mpd.conf

Do like that: connect through SSH
user root
pw volumio

sudo nano /etc/mpd.conf

remove that string

ctr+x to exit

then

/etc/init.d/mpd restart
(or reboot the pi)

and restart database update

As for the other problems you are reporting, this could be caused by the new kernel . Included to offer i2s DAC support. Kernels does have a huge impact on sound performance.
A last favour, while playing, please paste the outup of :

cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

Thanks for your feedbacks. You’re helping me sort out this issues. I’m confident I can re-release it soon. You deserve good music guys! :smiley:

Thanks, Michelangelo.

No, freeze means hang, it does not boot further for the next 15mins.

When playing 24 bit file (with a lot of static noise), the result is:
root@volumio:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S24_3LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 5513
buffer_size: 22050

When in 16 bit mode (which sounds just fine), the result is:
root@volumio:~# cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 5513
buffer_size: 22050

Hope it helps.

Try to edit this file:

/etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf

and remove “sync” from

MOUNTOPTIONS=“sync,noexec,nodev,noatime,nodiratime”

This could do the trick. If not, I think this could be an image file problem (my fault…)

I’m however planning to release a fixed edition soon…