Big deal with "Class T" amps?

Alright, so the title was a bit inflammatory to get y’all interested. I have a basic knowledge of what a T amp is supposed to do, and why it was designed to fill that role. My real question is, how does it hold up?

The last time I heard about T amps it was a novelty thing being over-hyped on gadget outlets (i.e. thinkgeek com) with no real reputation. Now I get into a new subreddit and find them (Especially the Daytons) being recommended like helmets at a motocross. I take this to be a good sign that they provide a lot of bang for the buck, but given how few bucks they cost, leaves me wondering, how well does the bang hold up in comparison to their larger more well known Class AB counterparts?

I use one for TV/Home theater. I bought an inexpensive (breeze audio) 25wpc chip amp that had received a decent review from an EE who did a teardown and electrical test on it.
Compared to my $2500 OTL 25wpc tube amp, it sounds amazing for $50 it cost.
Does it sound as good as the tube amp? Nope. Not as much bass, and upper register vocals are grainy/edgy in comparison, and very upper level treble like chimes, hi hat cymbals, etc. are not anywhere near as realistic sounding.
And I actually opened the device up and R&R the power supply caps with higher quality components. I was sure the supplied caps were cheap chinese counterfeits.
I am quite happy with it as a home theater amp.
The electrical tests on youtube showed it had reasonable low distortion up to clipping.
There are newer, high end, multi-thousand dollar chip amps that have received very good reviews from the audio press, but I have not audtioned those.

I got this,…

It depends on the particular amplifier. It’s meaningless to compare one class of amps with another. I’m going to call Class D and Class T amps the same thing. Certainly if you have low power requirements (reasonably sensitive speakers) and a low budget the sensible choice is Class D. At the bottom end I like Texas Instruments TPA 3116 chip which under perfect conditions throws out realistically 25W or so. By Class AB standards it is nothing special but not especially bad either. But for $20 or so you will not find a better audio amp.

However the next generation TI chips, eg the 500W(ish) TPA 3255 chip, compares very well in audio measurements with high end AB amps, it is highly efficient in comparison and so heat is not a huge consideration. It is still noticeably cheaper but will fill a large room and deal with tricky loads. Get one, or two, or five for teh cost of an equivalent AB system.

The main stylistic difference is that T and D aim for an experience without acoustic distortion, whereas the last line of defence for ABs is seemingly that they add subtle even harmonics that suit some tastes, though these are easily added digitally, ironically enough.

Essentially, in my view, the AB defence amounts to nostalgia. There are many fine AB amps, but new they cost a lot compared with roughly equivalent digital amps, they generate a lot of heat and waste a lot of magic pixie power, or Watts. They will improve in future as Moore’s Law.

the technology behind classT amplifiers is almost 20 years old. Modern classD amplifiers from TI, Infineon, etc. are way better in terms of performance, during the last 20 years several improvements have been made in the semiconductor industry for HiFi audio.

If you want to use something really good, I recommend those amplifiers:

https://www.ti.com/product/TAS5825M

Here an interesting white paper

https://www.ti.com/lit/wp/slyy171/slyy171.pdf