Best I2S DACS FOR RASPBERRY PI 3 B+

Hi,
What PSU have you bought?
Thanks

This sounds pretty good to my untrained ears

This thread is specifically about I2S DAC hats, and their applicability to the R Pi 3B+
No USB DAC is going to be good on a Raspberry Pi 3, the USB ports are compromised for audio use.

Sorry, you’re right. Did’t mentioned it: the V-DAC is connected by S/PDIF, using IQAudio Digi+ for I2S-connection.
Using the USB-Ports is no good idea. Don’t waste your money buying cables that didn’t satisfy your needs for sound.

I bought ifiaudio’s ipower PSU. 5V for Raspberry. Don’t use the original PSU, get a better one.
For the DAC 12V is needed. I think, there is more room in the sound and bass sounds deeper.
Give it a try…

May I add findings of project we spent lots time with years ago:

The story is still the same – linear, well regulated PSU to core points of the DAC board – is one major key to good sound.
After our project some DAC board supplier started to add quite good regulators and clocks to their boards so the gap between off the shelf and costly DIY solutions got smaller.

Hi,
Could you please recomand me one good psu for the dac?
Thanks

This is a difficult question, I have done experements with a number of DACs, concluded on the DIYINHK with the ES9038pro chip. Quite nice sounding.
I build power supplies, one for the PI itsself, one for the Kali, one for the display and 5 for the dac, all seperated from each other. Actually the clock on the DAC has its own PSU also.
In my opinion you cannot get the best possible sound, regardless the DAC if you share power.
On the picture you can see the regulators powering the devices. 8 in total until now.
PSUs

Check out the SuperTeddyReg. It is still available. It’s the best sounding regulator we have come across. You can use one (they are not cheap) at least for the critical analog section of the DAC chip (3V3 at most models - Hifiberry for example designates one 5V GPIO pin only for that, unfortunately with a LDO inbetween to get 3V3 … there we have bridged the LDO and put 3V3 to the isolated GPIO pin). You will need to build the PSU (toroid, bridge and caps - CRC if you like) yourself.

Just some information, i am quite happy with the regulators provided by NEWCLASSD.COM. I have no affiliation, have tried a few and these are quite good.

1 Like

Some of you may be interested in a new professional grade soundcard about to enter manufacture. It has an extremely low noise floor and very low total harmonic distortion. Check it out here :

1 Like

Me too. I set audiophics in setup. Working but not DSD direct (hardware can).

The Allo BOSS is certainly not a bad thing either.
https://allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html
Together with the Allo Nirvana SMPS
https://allo.com/sparky/nirvana-smps.html

My current combination