BerryNOS 1543 @ $95 balanced out DAC

g2labs.org/2014/03/01/berrynos-1 … pberry-pi/

BerryNOS 1543 is an 16-bit stereo audio reference DAC module designed for Raspberry PI model B. I²S based together with Philips D/A converter with a fully balanced design and a unique discrete buffered output stage.
BerryNOS 1543 has S/PDIF input as an extra option, which makes it a DAC module that can be used with
basicly any audio source.

Technical details
Input up to 24bit
Output up to 96 kHz
Output 4.7 Ω balanced
Output 4.7 Ω unbalanced
Frequency 4 Hz – 18 kHz, +0 -0.3dB
THD+N = 0.02% (1 kHz)

Inputs
Raspberry PI input (header P5)

Optional:
S/PDIF input

Outputs
L/R Balanced XLR
L/R Unbalanced RCA

Optional
S/PDIF input

What- no one interested in this DAC? Can’t believe it. The module looks very promising. Has anyone made some experience with this dac?
I’m considering to buy one

Greetingz
Robert

There’s more chat about it at the OTHER place (that’s where I read about it) :laughing:

runeaudio.com/forum/berrynos … -t151.html

Would it work with just I2S activated on volumio, or is it more complex to implement it?
Looks great with its fat, golden RCA plugs and raspberry pi hanging on it like a mosquito :mrgreen:

No no complexity there. Just activate I2S and play.
And I can say that it is a VERY special implementation of the TDA1541 chip regarding Bias NOT found even on 20 times more expensive 1541 based high end DACs.
For more information look at
g2labs.org/

BRG

Hi Brg!

Thanx for answering and the good news. Didn’t expect response anymore here :mrgreen:
One more question. Where are you located as a company? Couldn’t find information about that, even not on your g2labs page. But maybe I didn’t see it

Greetingz, Robert

Hi again
We are located in Sweden. The country with only two seasons
white winter and green winter.
Another guy said.
I love summer here in Sweden. It is by far the best day of the year

BRG

Hi BRG!

:smiley: -But in the south of Sweden you should have acceptable summers, I think? I’m located in the centre of Europe (Austria)

Now some questions concerning the BERRYNOS 1543 converter in order to achieve maximum sound quality:

1. As I read out of the schematic are CON 1 and CON 2 the regular power supply connectors that demand AC- Power. So I only need to connect a power transformer with 2 secondary sections of 7.5 to 9V, right?

2. CON 3 is the 5V supply for raspberry pi, which powers raspi up through P5 connection-block? So I don’t need to plug a 5V PSU in the mini- USB connector of the pi?

3. Are the power supplies of BerryNOS DAC and raspberry pi completely separated in this configuration?

4. Is it possible to connect for example high quality self-made symmetrical power unit (+/- 7.2V DC) to CON 4 and would I have to remove components in this case? Do you see any benefit for sound quality with this method and the possibility of tweaking here or is the on board power management through CON1 and 2 perfect for the DAC?

5. When I order the DAC with additional spdif input, is then a similar RCA connector mounted on the board and is it possible to play (maybe switchable) the DAC with a CD- Player and the Pi connected?

6. What is the maximum current drawn by the DAC?

7. I2S- Configuration: Are there jumpers included for easy made comparison of the two versions? If not, which one would you prefer on sound aspects?

8. I’ve no symmetrical connections on my tube amp. Is the sound degradation with RCA plugs connected clear to verify or rather hard to recognize?

9. When will G2LABS release a CN II- Version for Cubietruck? I ask this because I see a benefit there in direct coupling of the I2S connection that is not available on cubieboards 1 and 2.

So, quite a lot of questions- but I think others will take benefit either with the information :wink:
A lot of thanx in advance in the case you have the time for answering!

Greetingz, Robert

But in the south of Sweden you should have acceptable summers, I think? I’m located in the centre of Europe (Austria)
You are right my friend. It was a joke. Summertime in Sweden IS fantastic.

Now some questions concerning the BERRYNOS 1543 converter in order to achieve maximum sound quality:

1. As I read out of the schematic are CON 1 and CON 2 the regular power supply connectors that demand AC- Power. So I only need to connect a power transformer with 2 secondary sections of 7.5 to 9V, right?
    Yes that is right The DAC part requires only a transformer attached to it.

2. CON 3 is the 5V supply for raspberry pi, which powers raspi up through P5 connection-block? So I don’t need to plug a 5V PSU in the mini- USB connector of the pi?

That is right too. Please observe that you have to apply 5V DC.
3) Are the power supplies of BerryNOS DAC and raspberry pi completely separated in this configuration?
It is NOT galvanic separated ground plains between RPi and DAC.
But we have spent a lot of effort to minimize the interference between them.

1. Is it possible to connect for example high quality self-made symmetrical power unit (+/- 7.2V DC) to CON 4 and would I have to remove components in this case? Do you see any benefit for sound quality with this method and the possibility of tweaking here or is the on board power management through CON1 and 2 perfect for the DAC?

That vas the intention with CON_4. To give the diyer the possibility to apply own symmetrical power supplies of their choice.
BUT. If you look little closer to the on board regulators you will find an own developed “hybrid” circuit that combines a good quality serial regulator 317/337 with a discrete shunt regulator (low linear impedance from DC to very high frequency) attached to the adjustment pin of the serial regulator.
Of course there is tons of different PSUs out there but I have hard to believe that many of them can beat this one.

1. When I order the DAC with additional spdif input, is then a similar RCA connector mounted on the board and is it possible to play (maybe switchable) the DAC with a CD- Player and the Pi connected?

There is no RCA onboard connector when you order that option. The RCA connector has to be attached to the board with a cable.
The I2S output from the spdif chip and the RPi spdif output is connected together .
So it is intended to be used one at the time.
Theoretically you can play from the spdif input with the RPi attached to the board IF the RPi is powerless but I would not recommend it for performance reasons.

1. What is the maximum current drawn by the DAC?

Aprox. 70mA.

1. I2S- Configuration: Are there jumpers included for easy made comparison of the two versions? If not, which one would you prefer on sound aspects?

Yes you can play a track move the jumper’s play same track and compare.
Ok let me think how to explain that with sampling frequency in a way that ordinary people understands what I am talking about.
Easiest way should be to post some oscilloscope pictures but I don’t have some right now.
So let’s say that when you are playing 44.1KHz you don’t have enough with bandwidth to reproduce frequencies up to 20KHz and you can see (and hear) the effects already after 10kHz but you have minimal digital processing instead.
And it is the other way around when you up-sample to a higher frequency.
Which sounds best? There is as many opinions as people about that.

1. I’ve no symmetrical connections on my tube amp. Is the sound degradation with RCA plugs connected clear to verify or rather hard to recognize?

You prefer to listen to a tube amplifier then I can tell you that you CAN recognize the difference.
I need another A4 page to explain that but I will not do that for now.

1. When will G2LABS release a CN II- Version for Cubietruck? I ask this because I see a benefit there in direct coupling of the I2S connection that is not available on cubieboards 1 and 2.

CN II is NOT I2S compatible it is still a spdif DAC.
Of course I2S direct from soc is the best way to do it
Therefor we have Berrynos 1541 and Berrynos mini that will be released this weekend.
Those are I2S compatible. And if you don’t want to use RPi there is other mini PCs like ITEADUINO and OLINUXINO that have I2S exposed on the header you can use for better performance.

BRG

Hi BRG!

That was high speed response! Respect! :smiley:

So my brother and me we’ll order each one of the promising BerryNOS 1543.

So, I’m so sorry- again some few questions. But I think it’s for a good reason- that keeps the BerryNOS topic on top of the DAC thread :mrgreen:

1. When I’ve understood that right, in case of generally playing with raspberry pi an additional SPDIF input is not recommended for changing sources?

2. Is it necessary to make the wished I2S configuration clear when ordering? Or is a change afterwards possible at any time?

3. Is there an alternative to paypal when ordering the devices?

After we have tested BerryNOS successfully, we’ll look for the bigger ones :mrgreen:

Thanx for quick and accurate information!

Greetingz, Robert

Hi
Don’t be sorry it is our responsibility to answer your questions.

1. The board is constructed primarily to be used with RPi. We added the spdif option for those who are not familiar with Linux OSes boot loaders and fex files.
    Besides it is very difficult to achieve better sound through the spdif conversion compared to RPi/I2s.
    Anyway if you decide to buy the spdif option don’t attach the RPi when you play spdif and if you play with the RPI attached to the board you have to DETTACH the jumpers on the spdif section.

2. No you don’t have to decide when ordering the sample rate can be changed with the jumpers at any time.

3. Can you please send a message through our shop and ask about other pay methods than paypal.
    My friend George will answer that. It should not be any problems to solve that.

BRG

Hello Robert,

It is possible to pay without an Paypal account. You can pay with Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and Amex cards. Even if you pay without Paypal account and with card the service is held Paypal by and with the same security level.

When you checkout and want to pay you will come to a Paypal page. At that point theres a button for non paypal account you should choose. There you can pay with card =)

Best regards
George
G2 labs

Hey guys!

Just have tested the BERRYNOS 1543 and I can say- it’s a hammer! It operates with volumio without any problems. Just activate i2s and it works- and how it works! It’s a true music machine. I was listening till now for 6 hours and was’nt able to interrupt the session. Everything is there- but the most I’m associating with this dac is- musical feeling. That’s the essential character of this device. The guys from g2Labs seem to really know what they are doing. Order it, test it, feel it! Highly recommended!

Greetingz, Robert