BeagleBone+Botic (Miero) Update new VOLUMIO

Thanks for trying!

While there is not a large user base, as you can see there is still a small demand for decent music software to run on the BBB. There have been updates to the hardware e.g. BBB Enhanced, Beaglebone AI, etc. - mostly with RAM, WiFi, and Ethernet improvements.

Don’t remember if I asked this before… Based on the current build script will current updates/bugfixes to Volumio (not MyVolumio) be included when one builds the image? If so at least, the main functionality will be current.

Ultimately, I’d love to learn how to continue to support the current build to either add functionality or make Volumio work on current Debian builds. At the moment, it looks like it’s not possible past Jessie.

-Mullet

yes, when you pull the latest version from the repo, you could still build a new local version and have all the latest Volumio functionaily, of course without myVolumio.
But we quit support as of today, no more changes by us.
Of course, you can still ask us to build a downloadable BBB image as a service to the community, we only build, we do not verify or test.

The extremely low number of users is because of lack of suitable Volumio img for BBB.
BBB is significant better as RP because of sound quality, design advantages, power consumption and DSD support!
See new repo concluded Linux Kernel for ARM beaglebone black devices with patches for so-called botic driver and Device Tree Overlays for bb.org boards.
github.com/coroner21

@barrymore - amount of users is up for debate. The userbase of BBB is way less than RPi and always has been.

Either way, I agree that the BBB platform is great from a perspective of having ability to do synchronous clocking with 44/48 sampling rates. Also, less power consumption is important in my current DIY DAC builds. I will say though, that I think RPi is just fine if you’re doing asynchronous clocking. The players I’ve used sound great on a Pi including Volumio. That being said, I am trying to use the BBBs I have to their full potential.

I looked at the link you provided and that is not Volumio. It’s ArchLinux with the botic driver installed. Perhaps it’s possible to build on that and figure a way to get Volumio installed on it. I don’t have the expertise at this point in time to do so.

Just to confirm your latest build didn’t work either. So for now I’m going to move back to the build I created back in November.

The Master clock in BBB is provided by the on-board 24.576MHz and fixed at this frequency and can be directly accessed from the outside. The Master clock of RPi seems internally generated but un-accessible from the outside. Without Master Clock, you can only use DAC that can operate asynchronously without a Master Clock input such as the ESS DACs or DACs that can operate with the master clock = bit clock!

See my another links for Debian kernel 4.19 and 4.14:

digikey.com/eewiki/display/ … inuxKernel

elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian

github.com/RobertCNelson/ti-linux-kernel-dev

https://github.com/beagleboard/linux
kernel normal and rt
4.4 Build Status passing
4.9 Build Status passing
4.14 Build Status passing
4.19 Build Status passing
5.4 Build Status failing

Moreover see updated image: bone-debian-10.0-iot-armhf-2019-07-07-4gb and debian-10.2-minimal-armhf-2019-11-23
diyaudio.com/forums/twisted … r-295.html

wget -c rcn-ee.com/rootfs/eewiki/minfs/ … -23.tar.xz

So with all these links, does this mean you will cook up a build for us?

Personally, I’m just going to use the build I cooked up in November. I don’t need latest greatest in terms of kernels, OSes, etc.

I’m well aware of how clocking works. I’d rather use external clocking via a re-clocker board and then feed either 44 or 48 based clock to BBB. Otherwise, other DACs have their own clocking mechanism e.g. Soekris DAM-1021 and FIFO and do just fine with a Pi.

I have tried to make a build but my attempt failed.

I can’t send my log file for volumio-2.681-2019-12-10-bbb.img.
Volumio works in terminal mode but my browser does not show anything when I pointing to ),

When i attempt to send my log file I see mеssage : Your message contains 107616 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.

The extension txt is not allowed. What extension is allowed to attach my log file?

We can’t make it properly without Volumio team help!

Use this then…
dropbox.com/s/62s8vf4dace2v … mg.xz?dl=0

I built this in mid November. It will include all bug fixes. It uses Jessie, has Botic - not sure if it is latest, has latest bug fixes as of that date in time, etc. It just doesn’t include MyVolumio functionality. If you’re using Volumio as a player and don’t need all the cloud and sync functionality then you should be fine.

@mullet, yes, you can also grab the latest version from the repo, this will build just as well.
Either build yourself and drop a link in this thread or we build and drop the link in this thread, all the same.

I am very appreciated for your img and waiting for new gkkpch img :smiley: !

Hey guys,

Since I recently finished my Volumio based All-In-One streamer DAC headphone amp, I decided it was time to do a new build of Volumio to celebrate.

Here is my latest build. I named it 2.779 to match with current RPi version so people know it shares bug fixes, UI tweaks, features, etc.

You can find the image and md5 here -

Enjoy!

Hi. thank you very much for your work. please clarify this is a build with the Miero Botic driver?

Yes this contains Botic driver. Any image I post here will always have Botic. It also has Jessie as well. I think Jessie is EOL’d soon, so this might be one of the last images I make.

Thank you for your great, work! I’ll try your image tomorrow.
What is the install procedure for beaglebone black?
Can I use it with DAC, connected through USB or its only works through i2s?
Can I use Tidal with your build or this feature is disabled here?
Thank you for replies in advance!

Mullet, I did tried your image and it works in generally great. However I have annoying, kind of stuttering sounds - when I’m listening to hi-rez audio files from 24/48 and higher through the streaming of my Audirvana+ via UPNP to Volumio. Do you have any solution for that?

No. I’m not a developer. I just used a recipe provided by original poster to build more recent version. Sorry, I can’t be of any help.