BassFly-uHAT Official Support Thread

This thread will be a collection of tutorials and help on the BassFly-uHAT. Please post here your questions and not elsewhere.

HOW TO ENABLE TFA9879 AMPLIFIERS WITHIN VOLUMIO

Latest Volumio images for Raspberry Pi already include full support for enabling playback with the BassFly-uHAT. Just select the proper I2S DAC from the list.

After reboot, please select Software Mixer to enable volume control.

HOW TO ENABLE THE OLED DISPLAY WITH MPD-OLED WITHIN VOLUMIO

Please enable ssh, then login into your Volumio system.

Type the following commands to install the required software packages and scripts, then follow the instructions that will appear on screen:

cd /home/volumio/
wget -p https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Darmur/bassfly-uhat/master/scripts/install_mpd-oled_volumio.sh
chmod a+x install_mpd-oled_volumio.sh
sudo ./install_mpd-oled_volumio.sh

The script updates a file within /volumio directory, to enable the pipe for the spectrum analyzer.
This change will prevent the OTA system update to work properly, because the system sanity check will fail.
Two backup files will be created by the installation script: .mpd.conf.tmpl.orig and .mpd.conf.tmpl.cava. The first one is a backup of the original file in /volumio directory, the second one is a backup of the modified version.

If you want update your Volumio system to a newer version, please follow following instructions:

Before the update: login with ssh into your Volumio system and type the following command

sudo ./home/volumio/restore_mpd_template.sh

The script will restore the original file in the /volumio folder. Now it is possible to trigger the update from the Volumio UI, the system sanity check will succeed now.

After the update: when the system is ready after automatic reboot, login again and type the following command

sudo ./home/volumio/update_mpd_template.sh

The script will copy the updated file in the /volumio folder, with proper settings for the spectrum analyzer.
It may be required to regenerate mpd.conf and restart mpd. As already done at the end of the installation procedure, open the Web-UI and go to Settings > Playback options, then click on Save in the Audio Output section.

GPIO ASSIGNMENT FOR RGB LED AND PUSH-BUTTONS

BassFly-uHAT has four push-buttons and a RGB LED, connected to GPIO pins of the Raspberry Pi.
They can be used for basic Volumio control, without opening the Web-UI interface.

Following picture shows the complete mapping.

The easiest way to make use of them is together with GPIO Buttons and GPIO Control plugins, available in the System Tools section.

Here an example configuration for both plugins.

One of the LEDs can be used to show the SD-Card activity, replacing the one onboard. It can be easily done adding the following line to /boot/userconfig.txt

dtparam=act_led_gpio=26

In this example, the red LED has been assigned to SD-card activity monitor.

!!! Work in progress !!!

1 Like

Hi Damur, I needed to reinstall Volumio and now I am struggling again to get the O_LED to work with the script on this page. Would you be so kind and provide me with the script that you gave me a few weeks ago and what helped to get the display to work?

Thanks Thomas

Hi Th0mas,

you can download the script from the link reported in the guide, I didn’t remove it from github:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Darmur/bassfly-uhat/master/scripts/install_mpd-oled_volumio.sh

Please be aware it will not work on the Buster Beta images, a few changes are required in that case.
I will provide the script working with Buster Beta during the weekend

Damur, Thanks a million! :grinning:

1 Like

I Th0mas,

unfortunately I did not have time to update the scripts for the BassFly-uHAT to work on Buster Beta images, but I can share with you some material to have the OLED display working, and also some more plugins too.

bassfly_volumio-buster_plugins.txt (2.7 KB)

MPD-OLED can now be enabled with a plugin. With Buster images and this plugin, the spectrogram will work with any source, including Spotify and Spotify Connect (it was not possible with previous Jessie images)

Once the plugin is installed, (just follow the sequence of commands from the txt file), you should apply the following settings and then save:

please let me know if you face any issue!