Audio stutters/stammers/interrupts on wifi

Hi

Same issue here, but I am using Raspberry 3 and Hifiberry DAC+.

I already had the issue with my old setup (Raspberry 2) but there it has been related to power management settings for the wifi dongle.
The issue only appeared after an update of volumio 2 but can’t tell you which release was still ok…

Just tried via Ethernet, there, all is ok.

Best regards

Can this issue be helped, or do we have to take it as a fact?

2.323 Almost no crackling, but poor sound quality; my ears start ringing pretty wel immediately.

Thanks man for reporting.
I’ve set my goal to improve sound quality considerably with this realease, so: let’s dropout but less SQ.
Could you elaborate a bit more so we fine tune it?

I will come back to that.

All I can say is that there are, irregularly approximately every 5 seconds, short audible interruptions in playback from about 50ms to 200ms, and listening for more that 5 minutes my ears start ringing. Now, my ears are sensitive, I have this with other equipment also, but with a direct USB connection from my PC to my DAC there is no problem concerning that.

Try this and let me know :wink:
updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 … pi.img.zip

(you can also use the DEV updater)

Thanks :slight_smile: The updater says I am up-to-date though.

See: volumio.github.io/docs/User_Man … dates.html

[b]Use the system updater to test Beta-Releases[/b]

It is better but not perfect. I will do some listening shortly.

Ok, please provide as much info as you can (wireless vs wired, DAC type, music format, kind of glitch ecc)

Listening feels like pressure on the temples, which results in ringing ears a while later. Also, there are glitches/gaps(hickups) in playback. I suspect that there are also many micro-gaps in playback, for some music reveals a kind of distortion that sounds like that (madonna - like a prayer). I should say that I am using a Meridian Explorer asynchronous(!) USB DAC. All in all I think there is something wrong with the suplyance of data to the DAC.

Music file type? Did you flash from scratch or update?

Sorry, I missed your previous post. I am streaming 44.1khz 16bit via Airplay, from Tidal on my PC (HiFi). I am streaming with Tuneblade, via VB-Cable.

I flashed as update.

The larger glitches are like “blackouts” (they sound “black”), the smaller sound like a kind of noise (madonna track).

Assuming you may be using a Pi3/PiZeroW with onboard wifi, you may want to look at this know bug/issue.

As a test, you may want to try disabling bluetooth altogether with dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt in /boot/config.txt: does it change anything by chance?

AFAIK I am using a Pi 2. I am using a WiFi dongle. :wink:

Would it help if I used a Pi 3 with integrated WiFi, so that I wouldn’t need the USB WiFi dongle? (I am using a USB DAC also)

Can’t tell for sure unfortunately. Pi3 wifi has its own quirks too I’m afraid… Does not use USB for wifi though, so if USB is a bottleneck, could help.
But I doubt USB throughput is the issue since it works fine on ethernet, which sits on internal USB if I’m correct.

If, by chance, you have the possibility to try different wifi dongles, this may also help characterizing the issue: sometimes drivers & firmware have their own magic…

Out of curiosity, did you get a chance to try test version 2.330?
It uses a mpd version which fixes important issues…

Can you please check the archive for 2.330. WinRAR reports that the archive is corrupted.