Audio play stops after a while

Guys, can I just say that this is currently under investigation :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Waiting for new release.

Actually, I’ve tried to upgrade MPD separately (wget repo.volumio.org/Packages/Mpd/ar … _armhf.deb) but new MPD broken up my Volumio 2.118. I cannot browse my music (click to any mount will make it restart. Then I also changed to dev mode and upgrade via webUI but still failed.

Now, I have clean/fresh installed 2.118. If with no plugin, no NAS mount, I left it playing from USB stick for more than 1 hour without stopping.
I’ve upgrade dev version to 2.121 and after 2 songs playing in NAS, it stopped. The error is still happened in latest dev release 2.121. Here the log:
logs.volumio.org/volumio/GI8e6Gc.html

We should have fixed this today

Great news!
I’m still refreshing… :slight_smile:

good news, thanks u very much :wink:

You can try it :
updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/2 … pi.img.zip

Let me know if that fixes the problem!

Michelangelo,
I’ve been using 2.123 for several hours and the random feature is no longer arbitrarily pausing the playback at the end of a song so it seems this part of the problem is solved. There has been one side effect that I have noticed. Now if you manually select “next” or “previous” (either using the GUI or the plug-in) the song will not play until you select “play” using the GUI or the button plug-in. This is true in both random and normal playback. In ver. 2.041 when “next” or “previous” was selected the song automatically played with no further input required in both modes.

While you are working on this random playback issue It would be nice if Volumio would remember that Random was selected at shutdown and would automatically startup in random mode on the next restart in the same way that it remembers other selections. As an alternative (or preferably, addition) It is my understanding that the plug-in can be modified to use a button to manually change between random and normal mode which would be very nice. I was hoping that this feature would be added to the plug-in, but no luck to-date and unfortunately I don’t have the expertise to do the changes myself. I’m trying to get away from using the GUI at all unless I want to use it for a very specific reason.

While on the subject of “Previous” selection. In random mode if “previous” is selected the actual result is that another random song is selected. To me the ideal situation would be if previous is selected once, the current track starts from the beginning. If selected twice in succession the actual previous track that was previously played would be played again. In any event it would be nice to actually be able get back to the previous song played while in random mode.

I don’t use Play Lists so I can’t give any feedback on how this version reacts using play lists. I simply load my entire NAS folder into the Queue and play randomly.

You guys have done a great job in producing this software.

Setup: Pi 3, volumio ver. 2.123, Hifiberry DAC plus, GPIO Buttons Plug-in, NAS, WiFi

I can confirm the problem above.
Here’s what log says after i push next song in webui and random is activated.

2017-03-18T00:18:37.462Z - info: Pushing Favourites {“service”:“mpd”,“uri”:“mnt/NAS/Domace/- Razni Izvodjaci/YU Evergrin 4 - 1999/09 - Miki Jevremovic - Sama.flac”,“favourite”:false}
2017-03-18T00:18:37.466Z - info: Pushing Favourites {“service”:“mpd”,“uri”:“mnt/NAS/Domace/- Razni Izvodjaci/YU Evergrin 4 - 1999/09 - Miki Jevremovic - Sama.flac”,“favourite”:false}
2017-03-18T00:18:39.652Z - info: CALLMETHOD: audio_interface upnp stopUpnpPlayback [object Object]
2017-03-18T00:18:39.654Z - info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: upnp , stopUpnpPlayback
2017-03-18T00:18:39.654Z - info: Stopping playback through UPNP
2017-03-18T00:18:39.655Z - info: [1489796319655] CoreStateMachine::setConsumeUpdateService undefined

Hope this helps

Hi

Also the problem with bigger playlist is still there.
~6700 songs in playlist it stops after a while.
In Webui on login the seconds shows it stopped at 2:02. If i press Volume up or down i see seconds change to like
2:10. Seconds change on each press but there is no sound playing.

I have a very large track count but have never experienced the playback stoppage due to this reason. As stated above I dump all my songs into the queue and do not use playlists, Could this problem be tied to using the “Play list” feature. I’ve had ver 2.123 running for about 15 hours continuously now without a stoppage.

I do same. I dont create a specific playlist. I just add them to que and let them play.
What output do you use for sound?
Maybe it’s related to my Hifiberry…

I use the Hifiberry DAC plus on a Pi 3. Do you also use the Pi 3? If not maybe related to the added capabilities of the Pi 3?

I’ve literally let mine play for days non-stop without incident. It’s been very stable for me in this respect.

Very strange.
We have same DAC and same Pi.
I dont do anything else on the system.

Create img. Connect to eth and boot to configure wireless.
When wireless hooked up i shut it down thru menu.
Then remove eth cable and boot.
I go to webui and check so that dac is chosen as output wich usually is.
Then i go to my music. Turn of Web album art.
Then i add new drive. NFS. and then is starts scanning.
I wait untill scan is finished. Takes a day or so.
Then i go to library and add a VA folder to que. This VA folder have ~6700 songs. Mixed mp3/flac/WAV.
Then i go to playback page. I press play and after that the 3 dots under seconds and i enable random.
Then i just leave it on.

This is all the interaction i make with the pi. I never use ssh or go into any other options.
And since there’s more users with this issue then it must be something user related.
I just wish i could somehow find out what because network seems fine. Never drops.
Mount is always there and no errors shows bound to nfs.

Your post didn’t raise any obvious flags to me, so I don’t have anything concrete to offer. I’ll give you my setup and procedures and maybe it will trigger something for you.

My NAS is a 1TB external HDD plugged into a USB port on my router. I have my music files in folders based on file type (FLAC, Wave, MP3, etc.) with subfolders based on artist then albums. I also have non-music folders on the NAS. I mount the folders individually. For the last couple of months I’ve only mounted my FLAC folder which contains 11,000 tracks. To try and emulate your situation I have mounted my other music folders and placed them into the queue. This gives me 37,000 tracks of mixed file types in the queue. I have been playing them non-stop in random mode for over 22 hours now without a stoppage. With 37K tracks in the queue the WebUI has gotten quite funky. If I go to the Queue page it will fairly quickly lock up (the spinning dots) requiring me to exit the browser and reload the WebUI. If I stay on the Playback page I don’t have this problem. However; sometimes the song selection displayed will not advance to the currently playing song and it will freeze and sometimes the cover art displayed will be from the previously played track. Eventually everything seems to catch up and work properly without restarting the browser. None of these quirks with the WebUI affects the actual playback of the music.

I use a 16GB Transcend Class 10 SD card flashed with the new version using Win32DiskImage. I don’t use the Volumio built-in update feature. I keep the current version in case I don’t want to stick with the new version, I can revert back by simply changing cards.

• I plug in my LAN cable and power up.
  • Once the WebUI is running I go to My Music and setup my NAS mounts (I use cifs) and wait until the scan is complete as indicated by the disappearance of the spinning arrow – this took less than an hour for all 37,000 tracks.
  • I keep Web Art On.
  • I then go to Playback Options and set up my DAC. On this page I go down the list and click “save” for each subgroup. I keep with the default options on this page except I turn on Volume Normalization.
  • I then go to Network and setup my WiFi network.
  • Next I go to Plug-ins and set up the GPIO Button plug-in that I use.
  • At this point I power down the system (I can use either the buttons or the WebUI). Once the green light stops flashing on the Pi, I then physically disconnect the power to the Pi and unplug the LAN cable.
  • I then power up again check all the settings and power back down and physically disconnect the power.
  • I then power back up. Once the WebUI is running I go to Browse, Music Library, NAS, click on the 3 dots for each mount and click add to queue.
  • I then go to the Queue page and select random. At this point I start using my buttons by selecting next (in ver. 2.123 I need to press play in addition to start the playback - in earlier versions selecting Next immediately started playback). If using the WebUI I try to get off the Queue page as quickly as possible (due to the problems with large Queue count as referenced above) and get on the Playback page where I initiate the next, play sequence. In my normal operation once I’ve gotten random mode successfully selected, I shut down my browser.
  • On the initial startup sequences I don’t make a point of powering down again to save the Queue list (I don’t know if this is good or bad).

If Michelangelo is reading this I really wish you’d consider placing the Random selection icon on the Playback screen where it was when I first started using Volumio. I think Repeat was also there. To me this seems a very good and logical place to have these functions.

Thank you for the response and the test!
I dont either see anything that should make any difference but the mount. CIFS vs NFS.
I will reimage the card and do it all over this time using CIFS because i have that installed also on my server.
I am not sure if it’s possible just to remove a nfs mount and i dont want to try because last time i wanted to remove
Volumio managed to delete 280gb of flac before i pulled the plug. This was a few versions back :slight_smile:

Btw there is a random and repete right under the playtime showing on the playback screen.
I have also noticed this after the big que makes webui slow.
Next to the + sign there’s 3 dots …
Click on those and you can turn on random there in the new window.

I’ll go test CIFS now and report back.

tia AC

Thanks for pointing that out. You absolutely made my day! I had ignored that because if you hover over the icon it says “Go to Share” and I would never thought to look there for “random” and “repeat” and I knew I wasn’t interested in “share”!

Hope changing to cifs solves your problem

Hi

Testing is done now since it stopped.
It played for probably 2 hours and now it stopped.
When i go to webui now it shows it stopped 0:26 in on one song.
After a while i only do refresh my browser window and it shows same song but seconds are now @ 2:26
But there’s no sound coming from the speakers.
I did the setup exactly as you described except for plugins. I dont use any.
I kept the web art on and i turned on volume normalisation.
So it looks like it’s not a protocol error either.

I hope this can be solved because it used to work a few versions back.
Maybe even as far back as 1.55 :confused:

tia AC

Bad luck. What version are you using. I’m currently using 2.123 which I don’t think has been “officially” released so may have some problems. Versions 2.114 and 2,118 which are the last two officially released versions would not support random play properly. Version 2.041 that was released last December was a very stable version for the way I use the software. I personally never had any trouble with it.

I tried to recreate your situation on my equipment but couldn’t. It appears that the only difference between us is the NAS.

I use same as you. Snached the one michelangelo posted on page 3.
When it stopped today i only pressed play and closed webui. Havent been on it yet and it still plays.

Do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting this?
I’m at home taking care of kids so i have plenty of time :slight_smile:

Hi @Michelangelo !

I just installed this rev : 2.123, and after a random numbers of song playing from my NAS (cdfis), Volumio Stops.

I just click on “PLAY” again and it’s continue playing the next song of my queue list…

RPI0W + FX-AUDIO D802 (USB) + NAS (Openmediavault)

Could you give a link to download the last revision of 2016 please ? :slight_smile:

i just want to make some tests, to see if the problem was into it.